Arch-030 London Apartment

It’s been 3 months since I rendered anything in Blender, finally felt inspired.
This is based on some reference I found on Houzz.

57 Likes

Fantastic work as always! Do you use a lot of post processing to get the color balance, and accurate values or is it mainly good lighting in blender?

3 Likes

Hey patnard…thanks for the comment.

I will usually get the raw render pretty much where I want it from the start…my lighting is very simple…just Nishita sky and one Area light outside the window with Light Falloff and Blackbody Node applied.
I don’t do a lot in post, just use Blenders Compositor and do the corrections through the Scopes.

Sometimes I take it into Gimp and add Soft Glow with a very large brush and low opacity over bright areas and points of interest, eg I applied this to the window area, the flowers and the white chair in this particular project.

3 Likes

Very insightful, I have a few questions if you don’t mind sharing.

Are you room fully closed or do you leave a wall open, not in view of the camera, to get enough light, for global illumination?

If you don’t, I guess you use a lot of samples to get an accurate illumination without fireflies, how many samples are you using approximately?

The fact that you don’t need lights in you scene other that the window area light is what I struggle the most with personally, do you have a “good practice” to give about setting it up? Strength? Size? Distance from the window?

Again, really dig your renders, keep up the good work!

1 Like

The room is fully closed, just 2 small windows…This scene was rendered at 4000 but I could have got away with 2000 samples really. I always use Automatic Denoiser and dont have a problem with fireflies…Maybe check your window glass material…never use Blender deffault glass in windows.

The Area light in the window is quite a low strength and you don’t need so much accuracy when placing it unlike portals which I don’t use…just placed a few inches away from the outside of the window will do the job. No special trick here, just keep it simple.

8 Likes

Thanks for the info, nice renderings. What do you mean you use an area light with light falloff ? Doesn’t any light have a falloff by default ? Or do you use a different falloff ? I ask because i tested linear falloff, which works pretty well with low intensity area lights.

1 Like

Hi Erik…Light falloff node…

test it out, it’s suprising the difference it can make.

Thanks for your comment :smiley:

3 Likes

What camera did you use to take these photos?

2 Likes

Interesting, i use the same falloff settings, but have a linear falloff, which brings more light into the room. That way i don`t need to brighten the shadows anymore. Never tried the smoothness setting with quadratic falloff though, maybe i’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Bart…

1 Like