ArchViz_what's the best light for a White Kitchen?

Hi everyone,
I’m pretty new in Blender and eager for nice useful critique.
This is my first interior scene. I think there is something wrong in the light, it’s a simple sun, to have short render time, but the image is too flat.
Because it’s a day scene I didn’t put any artificial light because I thought it could appear more fake. Or maybe I should?
What can I do to improve it?
Thank you so much guys!!!

3 Likes

Not much that I can think of, perhaps play around with some post processing. It’s a simple scene and I like it.

It’s a nice setup.
It would be nice if you posted some of your settings or a screenshot of the scene how it’s made

From what I see there are some surfaces that are too clean and plain which doesn’t add to realism.
Even straight planes in the real world have some variations and imperfections.
Also the reflection in the gray glass is a bit too simple
Would use something interesting to be reflected there…

Good start. It may help keeping it simple. Like the color scheme.
Now try to add some depth to the materials (shaders) and the little details…

Jarek D(DJ)

1 Like

Things to try out: use an hdri instead of sun lamp. Try different camera angles and settings. Don’t neglect your composition.

Paint the wall a pleasant bluish color. Put down more rugs! Why does the paint behind the kitchen implements need to be gray? Why does the table have to be exactly the same shade of off-white (and, so boxy) as the cabinets, or even the chairs?

The “sun” light is an infinite directional light meant to match its namesake. Instead, use various kinds of directional lights: perhaps a warm glow from the light fixture over the table, and a fluorescent fixture over the stove. Off-screen white lights on the ceiling off-camera. Perhaps the light coming through the window has a combination of yellowish and bluish light. And, so on. None of them should be of the same intensity or hue.

Read up also on “color temperatures” and find the reference materials which will tell you objectively what the light cast by various forms of light actually consits of. Look around your own kitchen!

"Look at The Light!"

1 Like

You should add handles for cabinets. You could use some normal/bump maps. Also try adding imperfections to the surfaces by feeding some procedural textures to roughness/specular. Increasing sun intensity could be more interesting.

Also, together with other suggestions already given: different lights with different colors (blackbody colors most likely). That makes it less sterile.

One thing that you will never find in the real world is a white light.

1 Like

The scene has pretty simple settings because I’m currently using my super low RAM portable computer, so I’ve decided to leave the scene setup very simple: there is a sun lamp (that’s right, I think I’ll change its colour in a light yellow and blue combination, thanks! ), and no HDR because it’s too heavy memory use.
The rest of the objects has simple diffuse with imperfection maps, but very light effect, maybe I’ll try to improve the reflectivity of materials and the imperfection effect and use some bump, or maybe I’ll leave it clean like it’s a new kitchen.
next time I’ll put the setup screen togheter with the image!
Thank you all guys!

Here’s some useful tips. Not sure if they can be applied to your scene, but maybe.