Are Blender's MotionBlur techniques inferior?

I’ve been using Blender for quite a while mainly for video compositing and sequencing. But I wanted to learn about Blender’s MotionBlur capabilities. So I’ve done some research and came to these conclusions. Corrrect me if I am wrong:

There are basically 2 types of MB in Blender:
1-Using the MBlur button.
2-Using the vector blur node in the compositor.

Both of these ways have disadvantages. The MBlur way will drink your time.
The vector blur node doesn’t work for all needs, because the blur goes in 2 directions for some reason, i.e. there will be blur tails on both directions of a moving object eventhough it is moving in one direction (useful for e.g. waving hands). you can’t have true motion blur with this node. The Directional Blur node can be used to produce MotionBlur effects but it will not work for masses of objects that move in many different and random directions (particles is a good example)

Am I correct? If yes, then I have to say I am disappointed with that :frowning:
EDIT: It’s just a question (as the title says). So don’t take it that I bash Blender. Blender is my best program

It’s the same in MAX. Motion blur is a tricky prospect in any software I’ve used.
Your only complaint with MBlur is the render time, and there’s your answer.
By that I mean, if you want the accuracy, you have to trade off with render time.

Real motion blur does have “blur tails on both directions of a moving object”. Motion blur happen when an object travels a significant distance within the frame in the time that it takes for the camera’s shutter to open and close. The tail on the back is created while the shutter is opening, the middle least transparent section is while the shutter is open, and the tail on the front is created while the shutter is closing.

Your probably thinking of something more like a motion streak or motion smear effect. (Which I believe can be set up within the compositor using the nodes currently available)

This man is correct.

It’s the same in MAX.

Yep.

Real motion blur does have “blur tails on both directions of a moving object”. Motion blur happen when an object travels a significant distance within the frame in the time that it takes for the camera’s shutter to open and close. The tail on the back is created while the shutter is opening, the middle least transparent section is while the shutter is open, and the tail on the front is created while the shutter is closing.

Yep too.