are there any animation retargeting scripts

I had asked about this here, LetterRip mentioned that he thinks there’s a script around that can do it, I have searched here and googled but have not turned up anything or perhaps I missed it somehow, If anyone arround knows if such a script exists, would be kind enough to post a link. I have done some martial arts stuff that I am not keen on recreating “per character build” I have found that even the smallest adjustments can break or completely trash my library and running back to cstudio is a “biiiig no no”

I don’t know about the script, but I just did a quick test with an armature that had an action on it. I duplicated the armature, then scaled it up (in OBJECT) mode, action still worked. Then I reset the scale, and altered the armature in EDIT mode (made arms longer), action still played correctly.

So I don’t know why a script is neccessary.

Are you altering your Armature in POSE mode ?

Mike

yes that would work, both instances, but not when you have to edit the armature center, mine is connecting the upper body(spine etc) to the lower body, you’ll find that slight adjustments muck up the “leg” work in particular and any other action that can be adversely affected by repositioning the center/s and or the rescaling of bones in my case legs relative to the center. I use a unified armature(hate floating controllers) the only thing thats not conncted is the reverse foot setup(bassam) and thats only because I never found a way that didn’t break the ik and or had strange effects, it would seem that the blender devs never considered the “strange” few that dont really like scores of floating controls…but that might be my cstudio years getting the best of me.

I’m not altogther sure what you mean by “retargeting”… but maybe some of the tools in this script would help?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73317

The script at the link will save poses from one armature and allow them to be loaded on another. It also facilitates retiming of the animation and provides some armature modification tools which can make editmode alterations in pose mode.

If the needed tools aren’t represented in the script, they may be worth adding, if you can explain what you need.

by retargeting I mean that if I make animations with my stock armature I can then alter in editmode that or copy thereof and safely re-use my stock actions with no alterations or adverse effects e.g. lets say that my armature’s default center is at Z = 5 and I adjust it to fit a shorter character say at Z = 3 retargeting compensates for that adjustment, at present loading actions done with the default center/bone sizes to new demensions like the example would place the shorter character back at 5

tried your script I get this in the console

Shortname = ‘D:\PROGRA~1\BLENDE~1\BLENDE~3\blender.exe’
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python… got it!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<string>”, line 111, in ?
File “D:\Python23\lib\re.py”, line 5, in ?
from sre import *
File “D:\Python23\lib\sre.py”, line 97, in ?
import sre_compile
File “D:\Python23\lib\sre_compile.py”, line 17, in ?
assert _sre.MAGIC == MAGIC, “SRE module mismatch”
AssertionError: SRE module mismatch
File “<string>”, line 111, in ?
from sre import *
File “D:\Python23\lib\sre.py”, line 97, in ?
import sre_compile
File “D:\Python23\lib\sre_compile.py”, line 17, in ?
assert _sre.MAGIC == MAGIC, “SRE module mismatch”
AssertionError: SRE module mismatch

Do you have Python 2.4 installed? It looks like it may have found Python 2.3 instead of 2.4, so it’s trying to use an old version of the sre module. But the sre module is also part of the Blender distribution in the Python24.zip. Hmm. I’m not sure how to fix the problem you’re having, but I’ll see what I can find out how to force it to use the Blender sre module if it doesn’t find Python 2.4.

The pose script would save the animation as a series of poses, saving only pose bone loc, rot, and size. Loading the animation from one armature to another (with compatible bone names) would only load the pose transforms, then. It sounds like this might circumvent your problem, but I may still misunderstand.

they’re both installed I get rid of it but why would blender load 2.4 and the script reference 2.3 weird

do have a manual or something I keep getting this below

Shortname = ‘D:\PROGRA~1\BLENDE~1\BLENDE~3\blender.exe’
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python… got it!
File “<string>”, line 3577, in gui
File “<string>”, line 3545, in colorbox
File “<string>”, line 1464, in save_batch
File “<string>”, line 134, in goSave
TypeError: save_convert() takes exactly 4 arguments (5 given)
File “<string>”, line 3577, in gui
File “<string>”, line 3545, in colorbox
File “<string>”, line 1464, in save_batch
File “<string>”, line 134, in goSave
TypeError: save_convert() takes exactly 4 arguments (5 given)

all I,m doing is trying to save animations as a batch of pose files

This error is new to me, but I’m glad you’re reporting it. Sorry for the trouble. I’ll look at the script and try to figure out what’s happening. Hopefully I can have a fix up tonight. It kind of looks like something might have been incorrectly adapted to the addition of Poser export.

Sorry for the trouble. :frowning:

And: no manual, but there should be. I’ll try to start putting something together.

Quick fix. On line 134, replace

quat = save_convert(ob, pose, bone, quat, 0) #posematrix and restmatrix type conversions

with

quat = save_convert(ob, pose, bone, quat) #posematrix and restmatrix type conversions

It was a stupid mistake on my part, left over from some of my attempts to fix the euler conversion problems for Poser export. I’ll get a fixed copy up on my site when I have more time online, later tonight.

On edit - the fixed script is here:

http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/~Cage/PoseLib16d.zip

Again, my apologies for the error.

thanks I’ll give it a go and report back later