Are you happy with 3.0?

Well, I am almost happy… finding 3.0 crashes a lot on simple stuff, like, adding addons and such. Trying to navigate the directory structure in the preferences is a hit or miss for me…

how is 3.0 for you?

1 Like

I have been using 3.1 alpha for geometry node tests and it has been stable (without add-ons).
No problem navigating directory structure in the preferences (Linux).

I do not use many unbundled add-ons but Forgotten Tools is broken in 3.1 and will give errors and sometimes crash Blender so I presume the same will happen with some others. Add-on developers will need time to update.

Do watch out for file comparability issues with previous versions, be sure to backup before porting!

1 Like

yea, failed to mention that I’m on windows… overall, I am happy with 3.0… even with the crashes…

Can’t make it past 200 frames before crashing.

Still using 2.93 to get real work done

1 Like

Hi @MusicAmg, @Anabran.

Some tips:

1. Run Blender in Command Line:
    In the Windows Search bar, type “cmd” and run it.
    Then go into your Blender installation folder (i.e: “cd D:\blender\blender-3.0\” or “cd C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.0\” then run “blender.exe”).
    Running Blender this way should allow you to read warnings, errors and add-on messages…
    This can help you understand what is happening in the background.

2. Run Blender with blender_debug_log.cmd:
    To know the reason of crashes, run Blender thanks to the blender_debug_log.cmd file that is located in your Blender installation folder (and not with your usual desktop shortcut).
    Running it this way opens a Command Line window, which, if Blender crashes, gives you informations about the reason of the crash (which can be Blender itself, an add-on, your vRAM, your GPU drivers…) by generating log files with the errors.

3. Update your GPU drivers and restart Blender. Up-to-date GPU drivers can fix many issues.

7 Likes

Thanks mate ,I shall run some tests and try to crash it so I can have a look.

Unfortunately, Blender sometime crashes before starting, so, no debug files are written…

For me, the release build has been just a number for years now (because of how stable the devs. builds are much of the time). Now it is to be mentioned the stability can drop a bit and major bugs introduced after big changes, but that is why I keep a few older builds around to fall back to.

1 Like

The biggest disappoint with 3.0 on my Mac is the crashing doing almost anything in the materials editor.

Used it only a little bit to manually port my preferences and play with cycles x, was disappointed in asset browser (it only supports single object assets) and some of addons I use are not updated for 3.0 yet (textools). I think I’m gonna wait for 3.0.1 and more stability before switching from 2.93.7.

For me, no crashes at all, but i don’t use any external plugin, just vanilla Blender on Windows 10 21H1 most of the time.

For windows users, Blender is compilled considering windows 10. Windows 8 support is hit and miss, and windows 7 is unsupported. Make sure you have the entire OS updates at least at 20 level updated (i’m on 21H1, but also on my notebook which is 20H2).

For what i’ve seen in other open surce projects, mac users tend to have certain aversion to test betas and release candidates, so final versions comes buggy always. Probably Blender MAC users have the same problem, so your best bet is to make some noise in the bug tracker and give feedback. (I think Blender for mac requires at least 10.13 or .14 on intel, can’t remember right now).

1. Have you updated your GPU drivers to their latest available version?
  2. What version of Blender are you trying to run?
  3. What OS do you use? (Note that Blender 3.0 doesn’t work nor support Windows 7)

I’ve only been playing around with it a bit rather than any serious working yet. Still mainly on 2.93 LTS and 2.79B. Loving Cycles X. It feels like a total game changer. Editing large meshes significantly smoother and faster as well. It’s really smooth for me now. Also so is edit undo from what I can tell.

As regards crashes. I noticed that all of the original Blender Rocket Eevee demo files cause an immediate crash on opening. As in Blender simply vanishing. I wasn’t sure if this was because of bugs or that it was partly intentional because of something that had been dramatically re-written ?
They all still work fine with 2.93 LTS.

Running it on Windows 10 with latest graphics driver updates

1 Like

I use 2.93 for everything, but final renders. For final I switch to 3.1 to get the extra speed of CyclesX. Seems to work out well without crashes. CyclesX is amazing! Though I hear it may not work faster if you have multiple video cards.

The official release version… my drivers are up to date, and I am on win 10…

Have been playing with 3.0 on my laptop with a laptop Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080. I’ve only done some light modeling and texturing so far, but I’ve been rendering quite a bit to check speed. Downloaded the BMW file to test times. With ‘NONE’ selected in Pref/System/Cycles rendering it took 4:36:88 to render out, with Cuda 26:26, with Optix 11:04. On a Windows 10 Pro machine. I’m completely update on drivers for both computer and graphics card. Both seller and computer maker suggest staying away from Win 11 for the time being. I haven’t stressed the system, but zero errors or crashes so far.

Have you tried my tip 1 or my tip 2 ?

Ok, i’ll take the bait.

#1: In the search box of windows 10 put “winver.exe” without quotes, in the window that will appear, take note of the number it will show (e.g.: “Compilation OS 19042.721” or similar). tell us on what windows version exactly you are.

#2: Tell us what GPU are you using. in the search box type “mmc devmgmt.msc” it will open the device manager. Click on “Display Adapters” and write down the EXACT model of GPU that appears “e.g. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080”. Then right click on this name, in the menu that will appear select “properties” , then select the tab “controller” and note the controller version “e.g. 20.0.31.8751”, the manufacturer (if it say microsoft, then there’s some problem on your machine), and the date. If there’s more than one display adapter, then you: A: are on a Laptop with multiple GPU’s, this needs bug reporting, and/or B: Your system is bugged, in case of a Desktop configuration. Requires further debugging.

#3: Depending on what software you are using, maybe there’s a conflict with system libraries. But without knowing #1 nor #2, can’t be proven.

1 Like

Those are bad times if you did not changed anything in the scene like render resolution etc,
If you did not, you need to check your power profile and other issues.

These are recent Studio drivers https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/184241/en-us
With HWiNFO you can chek how much power your GPU is drawing
https://www.hwinfo.com
What is your laptop model btw?

yup… I have with no success… it’s hit or miss… I may go back to building from source again…