Arial Photograph on a terrain model

Hello,
i have a terrain model and the arial photo of it, unfortunatelly the arial photo is about 5 mb at this time, i do not know if my machine has problems with this size or blender but it is not working , does anybody have some experience with large textures.

My aim is to make some renderings with a really detailed arial photo (as jpg this has about 700mb) on the terrain. So what would be best to go forward ?
Any help i would really appriciate.

regards

clem

Lots of useful information here:

http://www.terrasource.net/

Blender is sometimes sensitive to image file integrity. If it doesn’t load the first time take it to something like XNview and resave it with a new name and if that don’t work try another file type. XNview also has the ability to manipulate color data and dpi settings. Blender should be able to handle any file size but it’s better if divisable by 64.

%<

Buy more memory. Make sure you have enough swap space ( virtual memory under windows ).

The largest image I can find on my pc is a 3 meg satellite photo. Using that as an image texture on a plane is a piece of cake.

UV textures might be a different story.

A 700 meg image is a huge file. Buy more memory. And use the little skinny file browse button to the right of the LoadImage button in the texture window to load it. You’ll be glad you did.

Break it up .

Blenders render is going to be targeted for a jpeg, tga, png or somesuch that you are going to use where…as a feature in an html or printed page , right?

90+% of the detail (or 90+% of the image) is going to be lost anyway and where you want to show those details you will be making special considerations or setups.

I don’t think you have a memory/hardware problem, I think you have a strategy issue. Think about this…if at 100dpi you are generating about 10megs per cubic foot of screen space then a 700 meg picture lays out to 70feet x 70feet. Thats not a file, thats a directory.

I bet if you write back with more details on what you are trying to illustrate and the specifics of the model someone here could offer some good insights on how to tackle it.

I think you mean square feet. And I don’t think he said its a 700mb file. I think he meant he has 700mb of FILES and the one he tried was 5mb. There’s no good reason to use a 700mb file even if it does exist (and it likely doesn’t). If you’re doing a terrain simulation, the best approximation blender will do is based on its simple “noise” function, or a bump map, and as has already been suggestied, neither of these methods will reflect all of the data in your image at this stage in Blender’s development. Chose a smaller part of the image perhaps.

I bet if you write back with more details on what you are trying to illustrate and the specifics of the model someone here could offer some good insights on how to tackle it.

I want to make a printable rendering of a region with about 9000X7000 dpi.
As basis i have the terrain data of this 3 square kilometer region and 12 arial photos. These photos have a high resolution (i can nearly see which kind of car is standing there).
I put these photos to one image together. And this image is about 700MB as jpg and best quality. I do not want to loose the high resolution of the images. In my gis-program I can view the terrain but i can not make good renderings.
I hope blender can do this !!! :smiley:

Is there a way to cover the terrain with these 12 photos, or is it better to use the big one.

Thanks so far

clem

maybe you should do a search on uv mapping?