Armature Animations not reaching the peak of their keyframe

Hi there, Im currently making a short flapping animation for some bat wings as shown in the photos, but I have an issue. As you can see from bioth images, when I press play on the animation, the wings dont reach the actual keyframed position of the frame, only about 50% of the way there, and Ive been working on this for long enough that I have a strong desire to pull out my hair. If anyone has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated

This image is when I manually scroll to the keyframe

This image is the same keyframe but when I pause it on the same frame

This is a video of my issue

Set a viewport to the Timeline editor, and check the Playback options.
Make sure that Play Every Frame is selected for the Sync option.

I just checked and it is set to play every frame, yet the flapping still looks how it does. Thanks for the suggestion though

Your animation is too fast for you to observe the full extent- it’s working just fine, you’ll see if you drop the FPS to something like 2, your eyes just can’t keep up with the extreme amount of motion in a very short amount of time

Thats not really the issue. Its that when I pause it on the apex frame (Image 2), its not as extreme as a position as if I just scroll to that frama (Image 1). The wings arent moving too fast for my eyes, their just not reaching the apex of the movement. But thanks for the idea

Yes, I know what your problem is, I read your post :slight_smile: Did you try dropping the FPS or increasing the space between key frames?

do you have anything like my wiggle bones addon enabled?

Decreasing the frame rate to 2 fps still has the same issue as 24. moving the frames farther apart does help it significantly, but the issue is still there and it requires me to run everything at 60 fps, which is impractical to animate what I am doing at, and the issue is still there. Thanks for the suggestions. ill probably just try to rerig it and hope I made a mistake in the process

1 Like

sadly no, although the addon does look pretty useful so thanks for the inadvertent suggestion

Again, if this worked, you don’t have enough space to visually capture the full extent of motion you want

if that was the issue, I should be able to pause it at the apex of the movement and see exactly what I keyframed, but it isn’t whats happening here

A good example of that is this video here where I made the apex of the animation last 3 frames, but the issue still exists even though it takes up a solid 40% of the animation

if its not an addon, i suspect that it may be some element of the rigging that is causing the issue (like a dependency loop). i see yellow bones in pose mode, which suggests ik constraints. i made a quick example of how incorrect ik setups can lead to unpredictable behaviour in the timeline:

likely nobody here can tell for sure whats happening without inspecting the actual file, though.

Thanks, I think thats gotta be it. I ended up remaking the rig (It wasnt that big so not much of a time loss) and it has no issues now. but thank you for your help

1 Like