Armature Rest position

I’ve read it before, but I can’t for the life of me find it again. How do you apply a new rest position for an amrature. For example, if I pose him, and decide I want that to be his ‘rest’ position, how do I apply that?

Alt-R, Alt-S and Alt-G in Pose mode with all bones selected and all Actions deleted with X.

%<

Hmmm. Didn’t seem to work. Do I have to delete any NLA strips I have? I deleted any actions still linked, but NLA is still active. When I clear the rotation in Pose Mode, it goes back to the original rest position, rather then applying a new one? (Thanks for the help by the way)

it goes back to the original rest position,

There IS only one Rest Position; the position of the bones in Edit Mode.

but NLA is still active

Then you have not deleted the Active Action. In the Action Window’s Header hit the X next to the Action in the AC: Menu so that that menu box disappears (the Up/Down menu and Bake buttons are next to one another).

%<

Right, I did that, then it goes back to the rest position which is how I made it in edit mode originally. What I want to do is move the armature around in pose mode, and set a ‘new’ rest position. Everything I’ve tried puts it back in the rest position from when I rigged it.

Then you have 2 options:

1. move the bones in Edit mode to the ‘new’ RP

2. set (what you call) the RP in Pose mode and save it to a seperate file you can append it from in future.

It seems that wat you want is the option to set a unique Rest Position for each new action. You can do this simply by Keyframing the first Posed frame. It’s not what Blender calls the Rest Position, but that’s semantics.

%<