Arnold for Blender!

Those don’t offer monthly subscriptions, I was referring to the fact you can subscribe monthly at $65/month - as the others require you to buy a year in full

Its the other way around. Its not an offer, its an requirement.
Autodesk/Solid Angle gives you only the option for an Subscription, while the others give you an permanent license for less $$$ per month.
At least you can get it for just one month, which gives more flexibility, and the quality of the product is definetly worth it despite the price being more on the expensive side.

I am very curious about the next version of Arnold and their GPU implementation and i always welcome more render options for Blender even if i am not planning to become their customer in the near future.

1 Like

Looks promising on NVIDIA’s RTX, I wonder what it’ll benchmark on the RTX 2080 TI… And you can get a year for $615 - In my opinion it’s the best render engine out there, kind of seems like the more matured version of cycles.

I share your enthusiasm about the renderer.
Its only that my wallet is screaming in terror. I only have an old GPU so for me the next investment is either a powerful GPU or an powerful Renderer like Arnold.
Which is an obvious choice at the moment. For my private projects, UE4, Cycles or Renderman NC have to be enough. The moment a paying customer appears Barnold becomes an option.
Keep on porting the good stuff, I’ll keep my eyes on this project.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’m currently trying to get the IPR working - after that, it’ll be the last major hurdle to get arnold working successfully in blender.

One question…I am searching for a way to render Houdini smoke/fire sims in Blender. Does Arnold allow to load VDB from external sources? I know that Arnold’s Cinema 4d implementation does that, even though the main program does not load them.
That would be a strong motivator for me, since i would love to do some more Destruction VFX.

1 Like

Yes Arnold does allow this feature, and something I’ll implement after I get this IPR working.

2 Likes

Just a quick update… A lot of things have changed since I began this project. Thanks to others for encouraging me to keep pushing this forward…

I’ve got everything working with Blender 2.8 as well as far more functionality, UI improvements, bug fixes, and more. Eventually this will be released as an entire custom blender build updated with the master branch of blender. But for now the python addon is well underway, and will be the foundation for the custom blender build…

You can pick up the latest addon here (runs well on Windows/Linux/macOS), and follow up with news and more on the discord server here.

This will have to be production ready, as I’m already using it for a film I’m working on. The film is open sourced as well which you can also get more details on through the discord server.

Also, full integration with Cycles and EEVEE which I think is a game changer.

9 Likes

Hm. It’s not working for me.

Make sure you’ve copyed the “barnold” folder and all its content from the git repo to blender2.8_path/2.80/scripts/addons/. And restart Blender.

@tylerfurby maybe change your readme to make it more clear ?

• Add barnold directory to path\to\blender\2.80\scripts\addons

to:

• Copy the barnold folder and its content to path\to\blender\2.80\scripts\addons

(On first read I understood I had to create a directory, it’s only after reading the whole procedure and noticing there was nothing else about installing the addon that I understood what meant that line. But I guess some users won’t be able to do that.)

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Thanks, anyway! :slight_smile:

@COB-666 if you jump on the discord server it’ll be easier to help you out, but it’s most likely your environment variables are not set up correctly or you did not overwrite the files in the arnold SDK, feel free to message me here so I can help you get it set up, https://discord.gg/TH4XMcX

@L0Lock thanks for trying to help him out!

The installation process is a bit frustrating at first, and I’m trying to figure out a more streamlined approach that makes installing the addons more user friendly.

Bare with me while I work out the kinks, however there shouldn’t be an issue on any OS as I made sure this addon works across windows, macOS, and linux.

2 Likes

is the version ready for arnold gpu beta ?

It sure is, will be releasing an official beta with an automated installer for Linux, Windows, and macOS in a couple weeks. But yes, GPU is currently supported.

4 Likes

png-large

9 Likes

what you do is amazing ! i hope autodesk will make it official !

1 Like

Corona for Max is only $20/month :wink:

Cycles is a toy in comparison to Arnold. Arnold is one the the most powerful production-proven renderers in the VFX/film industry, and has been for over 10 years. You can throw anything at it and hit render.

Great that you’re doing this. Personally, I use Max so am already on Arnold, but best of luck with the project. :+1:

1 Like

@tylerfurby can you show, how we can install it…it just brings up errors

It’s not ready yet, we are releasing here very soon. First a private beta, and then the official launch. Please be patient, we are EXTREMELY close. I appreciate everyone’s patience.

What about Renderman 22.0 for Blender 2.80? You posted on github several months ago an addon to work with it, but it’s looks not working anymore or not currently supported with the final 2.8 release.