Array Modifier Layout/Modeling

So I was trying to model a Firepit, but when I went to use the array modifier to make the steel part go around the empty, it seemingly worked, until I changed to Layout View and I saw the crap I did… Any tips?

Make sure the empty and the object origin are at the center, move the object away from the center in edit mode so that object origin doesn’t move.

2 Likes

When you say the object you mean the mesh of the object or the origin point? (Thanks so much for the fast reply and help!)

Also ensure your original object isn’t scaled / rotated as that will be amplified by the array.

2 Likes

Object Offset in the Array modifier, as the name suggests, works by evaluating offset between the arrayed object and the controlling object. In other words, difference in transforms. So, if you want to array around a defined center, then both your mesh and the control object need to be at the same location, and only rotate the control object (otherwise the difference between locations will also be taken into account).
This means that the radius of the circle you’ll have to define by moving the vertices in edit mode, or using e.g. a Displace modifier set to displace along one axis, before the Array modifier.

1 Like

What if I want to transform the object? Is there a way to do both? (Transform and Array while keeping the trasforms from the original in all of the arrays?)

So in this case the offset object is the empty sphere while I also have the curve that I want the mesh to follow when I apply the Array, so if I understood you right, I would just need to put the mesh in the center of the Empty Sphere, right? It did help but now I’m like this: https://imgur.com/a/EQbQyM6

And as you can see the origin point is at the center of the ESphere however I don’t get the object to follow the Curve Circle :confused: (Sorry I only have a couple weeks of experience on this matter)

I don’t understand. You said that you want the array to go around the Empty. You don’t need a curve for that: just rotate the Empty.

array_around_empty.blend (139.7 KB)

1 Like

:open_mouth: WOW! Thanks a lot really! I’ll guide myself trough that, only one thing left, how do I get the Array to be of the exact same radius of the the torus object?

Never mind got it! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

By adjusting the vertex positions. In that sample file - by editing the value in the Displace modifier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all once again! Here is what I wanted it to look like, and thanks to you I managed to do it!

1 Like

Final Result! :smiley:

1 Like

Looks rock-solid.

…I’ll see myself out.

1 Like