Artist and Models needed for feature film

Since there is some confusion about this project, I have updated this post.

One Star’s Light Productions is producing our first feature film. We need to design, model, and animate 6 spacecraft and 3 space stations. We are on a very short timeline for initial design.

We want your help designing these! Interested? Please reply and we’ll send you details. If we choose one or more of your designs we’ll pay you and give you credit in the film! Designs not chosen may be featured on the film’s web site and the Bluray’s “special features”.

This is an RFP process. We will select up to 6 artists to develop refined designs. Artists may submit 1 or more individual designs. Artists who are chosen to develop final designs will be paid $500-$1000 for each model selected for use in the film. Payment will be dependent on detail level and will be made upon final design completion.

Artists are free to ask additional questions. Answers will be shared with all participants.

Release of specifications October 8, 2013
Deadline for initial submission October 21, 2013
Design selection notifications October 28, 2013
Preliminary design review November 15, 2013
Design refinement starts December 1, 2013
Final model February 1, 2014
Payment for designs February 1, 2014

Download the Non-disclosure agreement from http://www.oslproductions.com/?page_id=112 Once you submit the completed NDA, we will send the design specs.

Finalists will need to be available for weekly conference calls Dec 1 2013 - Feb 1 2014.

i designed and modelled 2 space stations, they are on my turbosquid page. they are pretty basic actually, modelled them more then a year ago so now i have more experience.
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/?keyword=modelmonk&page_size=200
you can pm me.

Originally posted in “Volunteer work” , we are looking for more exposure.

One Star’s Light Productions is producing our first feature film. We need to design, model, and animate 4 spacecraft and 3 space stations. We are on a very short timeline for initial design.

We want your help designing these! Interested? Please reply and we’ll send you details. If we choose one or more of your designs we’ll pay you and give you credit in the film! Designs not chosen may be featured on the film’s web site and the Bluray’s “special features”.

Payment will be $500 - $1000 per model.

Notice of intent to participate by Oct 7.
We will send specs to participants beginning Oct 8. Note - participants will be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Initial entries must be submitted by Oct 21. These can be concept art or rendered models.
Finalist will be notified the week of Oct 28
Final designs will be needed Feb 1 2014.
Finalists will need to be available for weekly conference calls Dec 1 2013 - Feb 1 2014.

Is this a competition, or a job. Because it sounds like a competition.

Normally for paid jobs, you look at any portfolios submitted, and make a decision off that. Otherwise many people’s times is wasted, producing assets that they may not get paid for.

yep I think he wants users to send in work pieces and then they will vote on it.

not a bad idea but only if everybody participating is reimbursed as well with a small fee.

Do you have written/drawn concepts of what you want? Or atleast some more information about the dimensions, level of detail or style of your requested stuff?
I mean there is not enough information. it could be looking like Star Wars/Star Trek or the Space Station ISS.
Well i hope you have more information for those who participate.
i might wanna do one of these spaceships/spacestations, but first i want some more informations.
so i guess i will participate, sign the NDA, recive more information and then i will decide if i can build one of these until Oct 21.

i can :),im very good in modelling :),and i leanr everyday something new for photoshop :).

A note: This is not a competition. However, rather than asking for standard portfolio submission to select an artist, we are asking for sample design submissions directly related to our project.

Artists chosen for final design development will be paid $500 - $1000 based on the detail level of their models.

Hi, i’m interested , my contact is : [email protected]
I’m an environment/hard surface artist, I designed (in part), modelled and textured the Dome environment and other sci-fi props in the open movie “Tears of Steel”, currently working on the Tube open movie, and as remote freelance for vfx and realtime.

Portfolio : http://nizuvault.wordpress.com/nicolo-zubbini-3d-environment-artist-portfolio/

I suppose style guidelines will be given after the nda, looking forward to receiving the specs to make a proposal/concept.

Nicolò Zubbini - [email protected]

Indeed, i’d say to not submit project-related work, getting just “thanks for your submission, we’ve choosen our candidate though”, in the meantime they got plenty of models.

Please people refuse this kind of recruitment, otherwise this market will be ruined even more than it is. This could easily come back to Volunteer Work threads

The first time I read it it also sounded to me like those things where a lot of people do their full interpretation of the work and then they would pick just one of the finished pieces and pay that person. However, note that their initial design stage only asks for samples (which I read as “rough sketches”, either in 2d or 3d) of how you envision the specs provided, and only after being selected do you actually complete the full work.

While it isn’t the way that this particular industry usually works, it doesn’t shock me because, well, it’s practically how all the rest of the other industries work. I used to work as a tendering manager for a software development company and that was basically all I did: get Requests For Proposal from companies who said “we need this piece of software made, now make a technical and financial proposal detailing how you’ll make it”; make that proposal with the help of the engineers who would actually work on the project if we got it; and then wait to see if we got it or not. The effort that went into making the proposal should be considered when coming up with a price, but you’ll never recoup that if the project doesn’t come to you.

td;dr: Doesn’t shock me, they just want samples/rough work before selecting you, only then do you do the bulk of the work once guaranteed you’ll be paid. Just make sure you’re comfortable with their budget and then you can do as much or as little rough work as you can afford - too little and you might not get the job, too much and it may not be worth the gamble of not getting it.

@Fax - totally disagree, he wrote:

A note: This is not a competition. However, rather than asking for standard portfolio submission to select an artist, we are asking for sample design submissions directly related to our project.

i.e: free concepts raining for free.

they just want samples/rough work before selecting you

They should select looking at portfolios/CV.

My 2c

I wonder why you make such a great secret about it. I mean i found the kickstarter page, the actual novel, which the movie will be based on and other stuff in a few minutes, after i clicked your link.
But well it’s your choice and you decide how you introduce your Project.

I have a Question. If Kickstarter is not a success, are you still going to pay the Artists for their work?

Sure Marco (it’s Marco, right? :slight_smile: ), like I said it’s not how it usually works (they probably should look at portfolios as is usual in these things). Yes, you will be providing concepts for free (as the rest of the non-CG world does, which is why I posted in the first place), but if they will need models in the end I don’t see any advantage they could have in taking your rough designs and giving them to someone else, especially on a set budget (it’s not like you quote a price and they find someone who does your design cheaper).

I’ve applied via PM by the way.

Edit: Just noticed that the original post was updated with added info just a bit before my previous post. OSL, I think it’s better to make a new post on the thread with updates, otherwise people may not check the original after reading it for the first time.

We apologize for the confusion our previous request has caused. In light of this, we have decided to postpone our search for artists until December. We will do a more formal portfolio request at that time. Those of you who have already responded will be notified.

One Star’s Light Productions LLC.

We apologize for the confusion our previous request has caused. In light of this, we have decided to postpone our search for artists until December. We will do a more formal portfolio request at that time. Those of you who have already responded will be notified.

One Star’s Light Productions LLC.

Yes. In general it is better to go about things in a standard way. By asking for designs, you are asking for people to work. I made the mistake of doing this once. I won’t make that mistake again. Making a design or any part of the pre-production process a considerable amount of time and requires years of developed skill. It is work.

The process should be:

1. make the job offer with the requirements.

2. Vet the applicants based on proven ability through previous work.

(if an artist decides to whip up work to show you on his own that is his business)

1. Give the chosen artist(s) the particulars of the task and take estimates for the work involved.

2. Pay an upfront fee that is a percentage of the total protected cost as a gesture of good faith. This is pretty much standard.

3. Work with the artist to completion refining ideas - BUT BASED ON THE ORIGINAL PLAN NOT NEW IDEAS THOUGHT UP THAT COST MORE TIME. Those ideas need to be billed for!

4. Receive the final assets and make the final payment to the artist.

There are variations on this but it should follow fairly closely.

Absolutely agree. The market is already a shambles because of teenagers taking $20 for a $200 project (etc.)

The people recruiting for this picture should be well capable of judging by looking at someones portfolio. No additional work should be required. Small art tests are industry standard, but this seems… different.

Maybe posting an art test would have been more prudent; like a concept of an escape pod or something, something small. This team just seems disorganized, asking an artist to give them a concept and finished mesh without being able to provide one themselves. And that’s going to cause major problems down the line.

Moved from “Paid Work” to “Volunteer Work”

Payment “if we choose your submission” is deferred payment at best.