Ascaris suum

Hi, I’m doing some shematic reference picture on these worms. THis is what I have so far. The captions are just there so you know what I’m asking, they are not final in any way.
So, those tubes from the uterus to the ovarium should get smaller gradualy, does anyone have any idea, how to do that easily? Since they must be this curvy, it’s a lot of job to model them by hand, scaling the diameter smaller and smaller. So, how can I tell a shape to follow a curve, and get smaller while doing it?
Thanx

http://web.axelero.hu/ceze1/Ascaris.jpg

The technique is called “lofting” in the industry. This is essentially where you tell a shape to extrude along a curve. Blender 2.34 does not have such functionality per-se but Blender 2.35 will have a feature called “taper curves” which seems like it would be perfect for your application. You can get the information about the feature here and you can download a CVS version of Blender for Windows here which will allow you to play with the feature. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanx Desoto, that works like a charm. Kind of hard to make the curve without getting negative values, but it works :slight_smile:

No problem! Great to have an artist testing a feature before release too. Beat it to death if you can and put it through its paces. If you find any bugs try to simplify the scenario in which you discovered them to isolate the cause and remove extraneous variables and then save the blend file and upload your issue to the bug tracker at blender.org. Glad to help :smiley:

simplify? lol. btw thanks for the cvs.

Simplify i.e. If you have extra models in the scene that have nothing to do with the bug, just remove them. If you have extra materials you aren’t using, remove them. Etc. Etc.

I understood that, I was just remarking on how you were talking about simplifying and your sentence was complicated…I read it three times to make sure I understood what you meant. :slight_smile:

You can do it in 2.34 using dupliframes with nurb surfaces parented to nurb curves and then use the IPO’s to scale the curves.
This works well and is more flexible as I think @ner has pointed out. For instance you can separately scale along y or x, as well as rotate the surfaces.
Some documentation on doing this is available in the online documentation here (near the bottom of the page):
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/x10039.html