ASIFA Hollywood is new Development Fund sponsor

Not sure where to post 2.8 related news items anymore, so I’ll post here. In case anyone’s interested:

Well, maybe not strictly 2.8 related, but probably also not unrelated, haha.

1 Like

Great news from hoolywood :slight_smile:

Anyway, 3d cursor icon is so ugly, cant even look at it! :rofl:

I’ve split this discussion to its own topic (that’s where you post it) and tagged it as #news. Technically, it could go in Latest News, but this is fine.

They apparently want you to post each news item as its own thread with the “news” tag. They expect you to filter the 2.8 section with that tag, and look at each new post instead of just following one thread.

I actually think this is an elegant way to handle it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Regarding the news - nice to read that the big players have an eye on Blender. Although I wouldn’t overinterpret it.

Personally, I’d rather just set one thread to watch and let it notify me when there are posts in it when i log on. That said, I can see how there might be issues with it.

It seems discourse has a hardcoded limit of 10k posts for each tread. Having one thread for news would likely cause that thread to become huge, and apparently discourse can’t handle threads that big very well.

I don’t think the reason for this is the 10k post limitation. It is rather the heated debates in those mega threads that took place here and in the old forum. Now that the topics are split, this hasn’t happend yet which is a welcome improvement.

1 Like

Personally, I feel debates can be constructive as long a people don’t resort to insulting each other. They always brought insights about the different ways people use blender as well as the different workflows other software packages had.

I suppose another issue with that is the fact that debates cause the threads to go off topic. It can certainly be hard at times to stick to the subject when you keep responding to other people. That is one of the downsides to the new forum. You can see when someone is typing and so you are tempted to wait for their response then reply again. It makes this more like a chatroom than a forum.

1 Like

Dang, I just realized that I was going off topic by saying all that… So ASIFA is a sponsor now. I wonder if this means blender will be noticed by more production companies in hollywood.

Wait wait, am I get something wrong?
Well it is nice and dandy to have a sponser out of hollywood, but this feels more like a joke.
Titanium Sponsor Ship? 100$ per month?

It is better than nothing, but why didnt they choose Diamond or even a custom monthly donation?
ASIFA is a pretty, pretty big player and 100$ per month is nothing for them.

No hate here - just a bit curious :confused:

Haha. You can stray a little. I think everyone knows you’re not a trouble maker. I’m super stoked by this news. I actually just resigned from my subscription to the dev fund because of my current situation (counting every euro) and I felt kinda bad, so no worries anymore. However I just checked and titanium sponsoring is only 100e/month, I expected it to be more coming from an organization, but I guess we can’t complain.

1 Like

ASIFA is dipping into open source sponsoring. But if they didn’t cut a custom amount for Blender then maybe they like Synfig a bit more :slight_smile:
http://www.animationmagazine.net/top-stories/asifa-hollywood-awards-synfig-a-special-sponsorship/

(But I’m not complaining… this is good times for opensource and we don’t even know the details of the BF sponsorship)

Unless you religiously read all of the posts in one huge thread including having to wade through all the garbage spouted, then actual real news would be hidden away from 90% of the people, those casual users of these forums.

2 Likes

This is better than nothing though, and deriding large organizations for not donating enough might discourage them from sending anything to the BF in the future (especially if they are fairly new to the idea of supporting Open Source).

The BF encourages larger studios who are actually using Blender to sign up for a Diamond sponsorship, but they don’t require it for good reasons.

2 Likes