Asset Bridge Addon

This is the main thread for Asset Bridge, an addon for automatically downloading free assets from sites like Polyhaven.com and AmbientCG.com, all straight from the asset browser:

You can get it here:

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or problems, feel free to post them below :slight_smile:

I hope you like it!

20 Likes

Congrats on the release! Been looking forward to this ever since I first saw you were working on it. And as with your other add-ons I was not disappointed, great work :slight_smile:

Got some suggestions, but I will limit myself to two feature requests for now :wink: Would be nice to be able to set a custom location for downloads, so you don’t have to store assets in multiple installs if you have several installs of blender at the same time, and an option to link instead of append to the scene would be nice.

2 Likes

Very useful; that frees up a tab in my crowded browser! :wink: Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you, that’s really nice to hear :slight_smile:

Yeah, being able to set a custom download directory is at the top of my to-do list, that should get in fairly soon. I hadn’t thought about linking instead of appending, but sure, it shouldn’t be too hard to add!

1 Like

I’m glad you like it :grin:

1 Like

Release v0.0.3

• Added the ability to set a custom asset downloads directory, so that you can keep the same directory across different version of the addon/blender.

Thanks for the suggestion @Elk, I’ll have a go at adding linking support next :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sweet, that was fast :open_mouth: Gonna go download right away. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, I only get the Download Assets Previews button, but nothing happens when I click it …
I got a progres bar on 0.0.1.

Tried a freshly unpacked Blender 3.2.2 “install”, no response in 0.0.3, removed it and installed 0.0.1 and preview download worked fine.

edit: Ran blender from command line, and it lookd like the previews folder was missing, added that in the Asset Bridge add-on folder and now the previews are dowonloading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, good point, I missed that! I think I’ve fixed it now, so if you redownload it, it should work properly :slight_smile:

Neat. I think i got some more work for you too :wink: It does not seem to keep my “External Downloads path” between sessions. Got “Auto-save Preferences” on and tried manual “Save Preferences” aswell, no luck

And downloading now stop at about 0-20% and I get this error in command line;

Tried reseting the progres from preferances, and some asset say “Import Asset” but it just goes to “Downloading: 0%” again …

Edit: looks like it is only materials and Models that have an issue, since they have the textures subfolders. blend files and exr sems to be there, but the texture folders are empty

1 Like

Ah, Ok, I think those should also be fixed now, not sure how I didn’t find them earlier :sweat_smile:
And thanks for finding these, It’s very useful to see everything I’ve forgotten lol

2 Likes

Nice, seems to be working again now. Both materials and models seem to be downloading and importing properly :slight_smile: And custom path preference gets saved :+1:

Good thing to catch those show stopper bugs early, specialy in the first couple of releases i guess :slight_smile:

I noticed one more thing, but not a critical thing as far as I can tell, but when I go between previews, I get the same download message in the console. Is it downloading the Asset info every time I swap between assets ? It looks like there is a long list of asset info in the asset_list.json file …

Anyway, thanks for the quick fix!, and already looking forward to future updates :slight_smile:

Ah, yeah, that’s just a debug message that I forgot to take out, I’ll remove it in the next version. The reason is that there’s some extra information that needs to be downloaded for each asset individually, that isn’t included in the asset_list.json file.

In the meantime, I’m gonna go to bed and hope I didn’t miss something catastrophic :sweat_smile:

Yeah, exactly, thanks a lot, it’s really helpful!

1 Like

Ahh, I see, was just wondering since there were multiple lines for the same asset.

I’m sure everything is fine now, works for me atleast :wink: Have a good night, well deserved :sleeping:

1 Like

Love this add-on :heart_eyes: It’s lightweight and fast, very well done! I hope you do integrate other libraries - it’s so much easier to find and use their assets this way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s so nice to hear :smile:
Other asset libraries are definitely on my to-do list, but unfortunately, I’ve got some other stuff I need to work on currently, so it might not happen for a while :frowning:

Also, v1.0.0 has been released, which just adds the ability to link assets into a scene, as well as appending them (thanks for the suggestion @Elk!)

You can download it here:

Hopefully this version has a few less bugs than last time :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Wasn’t me, that suggestion was by @Elk.

1 Like

Ah, good point, thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

Sweet, thanks. Will check it out tomorrow, and get back to you with any bugs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ok Andrew, here we go :wink: ;

Two suggestions;

When you apend or link it does not respect the collection you are inn, it seems to add at the Scene Collection even if i got anothe collection selected. I guess it might have been like that from the start, I probably just did not notice.

When you append or link, I think it would be better to append or link the collection. Especialy with linking, because if it is just linking the objects directly it will not be movable after linking. Might be some options for linking collections that need to be set for it to be movable aswell, not 100% sure here.

And now for some bugs;

If I start a new “file” (Ctrl+N) it will not append or link anymore, even if I did not append anything for my “initial” file when starting blender, to get it to work again I need to restart blender, so i guess there is something that needs to be reset somewhere … not getting any console errors in this case.

If i try to link the same asset twice, I will get an error in commandline about object already in “Scene Collection”, and that seems to make any other attempts to appending or linking to not work any more until i restart blender.

Did not check if any of this persists with savefiles or anything.

Other then that, things seems fine :sunglasses:

1 Like