Asset browser making many duplicates

Hello! My asset browser has developed many duplicates. I wonder if other users are having this issue. I do have the polyhaven assets and there are many there but often I am finding 4-5 copies of each in the asset browser. Is there some “eliminate dupes” setting? Oddly, they don’t seem to be in the folder on the desktop so I’m not sure how to eliminate. Plus it is really too many probably to just delete if they will keep coming back. Thanks!

1 Like

What version of blender are you using ?
I don’t think you can eliminate duplicates, for blender they are all unique, just like if you duplicate 10 times the default cubes, then they are all different for blender.

But using 3.5 development version I ran into an issue where I ended up with false duplicates, but the bug eventually get corrected in the official release, that’s why I asked about that first.

Maybe look into an addon that allows to manage assets, something along these lines : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uB-3rvTIk

Not sure this one allows to delete assets, but it’s worth checking.

Good luck !

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I’m on 3.5.1
It’s weird, I think that there was some redundancy in my asset folder with other nested folders maybe. It’s just a bit frustrting, going to HDRI in polyhaven and all of them have at least 3 of each. I hear what you are saying about the cube but there must be something else I am doing wrong. I’ll check out that video now.

1 Like

Okk !

So maybe check the asset folder in the preferences, I think when blender check an asset folder it also check sub-folders recursively.
Try to keep only one asset folder first and see if you still got the issue.
In any case you probably need to investigate a little more since there are great chances that it’s an human error somewhere !

Good luck !

2 Likes

Hm. The first thing that comes to mind is that Polyhaven HDRIs come in different resolutions. So you might have a 1k, a 4k, and an 8k asset that have the same thumbnails. You probably checked for that; I just thought I mention it because people might not think of it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought of that too. I do have a habit of trying to see if different res levels works. But nope, it’s not that.

2 Likes

Yes, I find it annoying.
It’s because you probably have Blender backup copies of your project.
Blender scans all .blend files in your project library. Searching for an object marked as an ‘asset’, But then it also finds the copies of that object in other BACKUP files (except .blend#, the official backup files.