Asset browser shows only gray meshes

Blender’s asset browser looks like a great feature and it it is beyond my why I have not tried to use it until now! I have one small issue that is probably due to me just missing something simple.

I have created a blend file containing some terrain assets that I use on a regular basis and saved it to the asset browser path shown in preferences. All meshes have been marked as assets and all materials have been packed in the blend file. Now all of the terrain assets appear in the asset browser. Great! …Except for one thing. The asset thumbnails show as just the gray meshes without their materials. Dragging the terrain assets into the scene does bring the material with it. The material just does not show in the preview thumbnail. Is this expected behavior, or can I fix the thumbnails somehow?

Open the side panel of the asset browser. Select one of your objects. Check the 3 icons beside the preview in the side panel.
Take a screenshot from a good angle & use the top option (Load custom Preview) is about the easiest way to make a useful preview.

And remember to do this in the asset file, no the default file.

1 Like

Hi they. Thanks for the reply! This sounds like too much effort when adding batches of assets unfortunately. Maybe future releases will make this more automated.

1 Like

It will render them with materials now, but only as material preview renders. Also material assets will render on spheres only (these appear to be fully rendered), if you use a custom mesh (Render active object) it will be gray as far as I can see so far.

1 Like