Asset Manager ... Add to Catalog?

Trying to learn more about using the Asset Manager, so that things are a bit more sensibly sorted… it looks like the Catalog feature is the way to go.

So, let’s read the manual:

Ok, that sounds easy.

What am i missing?

Make some asset files - in the location in your Preferences. One for materials, another for Geonodes, another for meshes. Or however you want to do it. Do not be foolish and put everything in one file.
Append all the new assets into the correct file and drag & drop them into the correct Catalog there. Make sure Current file is selected (See the Manual image you posted).
I have Scales as Materials (file) > Animal (cat) > Scale (sub cat)

Ok, so - can only add via Current File. Thanks, that did help.

That scenario is shown in the user manual, but I see nothing on that page of the manual that indicates this is required - so, par for the course on Blender documentation…

I was able to successfully create a shader catalog, and drag something in there. But now have seen the recursive nature kick in, and get to enjoy seeing duplicates in the asset manager as it seems to list both the catalog entry as well as the original… I’m guessing because the asset catalog saved itself it a completely different directory than the source.

So for now, completely giving up on this feature. Every time I’ve explored using it, I immediate find some “WTF?” moment that seems to branch out everywhere like a hydra. It really shouldn’t be this obtuse.