Atheris Hispida Snake

5 days to made this render of a Atheris Hispida snake
Rendered with cycles

Thumbnail

119 Likes

wow ,this looks super good! this little guy inspired a lot of fantasy creature out there

2 Likes

Thank you. This guy look like a dragon !!!

1 Like

He really does look like he could’ve inspired the concept of the Dragon, great work on the scales.

Did you consider using the denoiser at all (at least the built-in one), the fine grain looks like a textbook case for its usage?

1 Like

I didn’t know about this snake, what a beautiful creature! And beautiful render also, very realistic. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I am disappointed with the new denoiser blender 2.81
He loose details.
Here a comparison :
At left with the denoiser and right whithout

I intentionally added noise to the image to make a photo effect

So the new denoise is better for an animation not for an image

2 Likes

You’re #featured! :+1:

1 Like

It’s absolutely perfect. I wonder how you did the scales. Separate objects, sculpt? Thank you so much for sharing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Bartv

1 Like

Thank you Mad7, I made scales with separate mesh and add array and curve follow modifiers and apply them at the last. No sculpt in this snake !..

2 Likes

great work. weirt i have this feeling i already saw this somewhere.

1 Like

You can always tweak the denoiser infuence for the final image in the compositor since you have denoising data.

1 Like

Thanks a lot LazyVirus. I will try a next time.

Cool! Follow up question. How did you make it so that the scales remained attached to the rest of the body once you started posing it for this shot? Did you just use weight painting and parent objects to get the desired result, or something else? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s absolutely awesome!

1 Like

Really good accuracy! Congrats!

It would be nice to see an image where the snake is blending very well with the environment . Haha!

1 Like

Epic!!!
Love it. So much attention to detail.
Congrats!

1 Like

looks awesome! can you talk about the scales? is it a particle system? how did you manage to control the orientation of the particles to not intersect when the base mesh bends?

1 Like

Strange that so much detail was removed. I put the rendered image through the denoise and albedo and it looked much better. Did you put the right things in the right places?

How were those scales created? Would love to see some wires.

1 Like