Attach ZIP or Blend Files?

Hi All,

Just wondering if the site admins will allow use users to attach .blend files or .zip files to posts?

This would be a great addition to the site. Many times I could post a .blend to illustrate a point, but I have no where to host the files and those free sites sck and expire and make you jump through a bunch of crap to get the files. One site I was linked to from this site got me into a computer scan loop that scared the hell out of me. I had to terminate all browser process for fear my computer was being infected by these “free” hosting services.

Well there is always http://uploader.polorix.net/
It’s down right now due to some abuse from some hackers. But for blender related things, like .blend files, this is a really good option. should be back next month I think.

I agree it would be cool if BA could make it so we could post .blends on here though.

Most forum software can be configured to allow such attachments.

I can’t tell you how many times I have clicked on an external link from here only to find it down, missing, or password protected.

I think it would improve the community to allow these attachments.

Exactly my point, other sites do go down.
What’s the difference between a .BLEND file and a .JPEG file? They could both be attachments.

If I remember right there might be some copyright issues with this.

I would also assume there would also be size issues since .blends are larger than .jpgs. Consider just a default scene with cube/lamp/light, its 108 kb (you say not so bad). Rendered at 800x600 at 90 quality, its 12 kb (not so bad again). Now consider a scene with hundreds of thousands of polys: the .blend is going to be megabytes (multiple megabytes, .blend files can get big quickly if you let them), the .jpg/.png/etc. is still going to be in the kilobyte to low megabyte range even rendered at several thousand pixels.

a bit off topic, but since the original poster mentioned zip…

Usually I think it is much better to apply the compression within blender itself with the File > Compress command, it’s more streamlines, less app to open, and generally offers a much nicer experience… It also avoids the ‘what is this tar.gz/zip/rar/7z file?’ comment

There is a size issue with .blend files. Even a small scene with packaged textured can take up a lot of space. I wonder if it’s in any way usefull to allow blend files when you have to limit the file size to 1 - 2 Mb.