Auto-rig Pro [3.69]

Auto-Rig Pro 3.49 is now released, several small improvements have been made to fine-tune current tools and improve the user experience.

–[3.49]–

New/improved:

Preferences: The addon main UI and tools UI (IK-FK snap…) can now be displayed in a custom tab name

Smart: Knees are now in line with the feet, for better legs rotation by default

smart_pole_inline

Rig: To visualize the IK direction of reference bones, a line can now be displayed in option for the selected bones chain, in Edit Reference Bones mode.

show_ik_dir

Rig: Custom armature presets can now be added in the “armature_presets” directory of the addon, they are loaded into the list on Blender startup

custom_preset

Rig: New “Roll Cursor Distance” to adjust the visual c_foot_roll_cursor distance from the foot

roll_distance

Rig: The hand fist controller now allows negative scale values to spread the fingers, and limit constraints have been added, [0.5 - 1.5] scale range

Rig: The stretch length default value of feet and arms is now 1.0

Export: The shaky bones issue should now be gone with a better evaluation of bone matrices and rotations

Export: Since Unity can support twist bones using scripts, twist bones export for humanoid is now added in the interface

Fixed:

Rig: The ChildOf constraints of the arm IK pole were not reset when Match to Rig, leading to an offset when snapping IK-FK
Rig: Setting the arm ik pole distance could fail
Rig: The hand fist constraints was missing from “c_thumb1_base”
Smart: Cancelling facial setup could lead to an error
Rig: Disabling facial bones was leading to an error since the latest update
Rig: Non-parallel or not vertically aligned eyes were not properly aligned after Match to Rig. This is now fixed by default, however there is an option in the “Legacy” menu for backward-compatibility with older files.

6 Likes

Please add spring system too this mighty rigging system , jiggle bone are great but a built in one for auto rig makes more sense.
and makes it a complete tool and the jiggle system does not use springs . If not please make a custom version for me :o)

4 Likes

Does auto rig pro support animation layering ?

I know the NLA is suppose to do that but I have been too traumatized by my experience with it in 2.79b to look at it.

Adding dynamic motion to ARP would be great but it’s unfortunately not on the Todo list for now., considering there are other existing addons to simulate it (Rigid body bones, Spring Bones, Wiggle bones…) and other priorities, sorry.

1 Like

Yes it supports all built-in features of Blender, in Blender 2.8 animation layering is made really easy with the new “Combine” mode to blend two strip together.

1 Like

Understood and thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

Hello lucky,
Love your addon! I am new to rigging in Blender, and I’ve managed to hit a snag with something that has me pretty stumped. I have a fully rigged character with some animation actions and I’ve been trying to export those from Blender and bring them into Marmoset Toolbag 3. Everytime I do, I get a black screen in Marmoset and cannot see the model or anything else, but they do show up in the object hierarchy. This only seems to happen when I import a model w/ the armature, so it isn’t just a random display driver issue. I’m also not getting any errors when I export the character. It is worth mentioning I’m using some corrective shape keys and have custom bones for hair and some other additional rigged mesh parts.

I keep trying different FBX export settings to see if I can get a different result, and it just isn’t working. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Is there any reason to believe skinned meshes + armatures created with auto-rig pro would be incompatible with Marmoset?

If so, it’s not any kind of a dealbreaker, I am mainly using auto-rig to make game animations for a Unity project. My goal with Marmoset is actually just trying to get a posed version of the character exported from Blender and into that software. As an alternative to importing the rig and everything else, I’ve been trying to “bake” the pose by applying transforms, so that I can export the mesh only, but that doesn’t seem to be working either (it just resets the pose when I click export). Is there any way I can export the posed mesh without the armature?

Hello everyone!
Happy to announce the updated X-Pose Picker is out!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1265291007706488832

Visit product page for more:

2 Likes

Hello!
First of all I love the add on.

I’m curious if I’m breaking any functionality by replacing some of the base deform bones? There’s some extreme poses where the clipping get’s pretty bad that can’t be easily fixed by corrective shapes, so I’m experimenting with having a extra bone for knees and elbows. Deformation has been disabled on the original leg bone and I’m just using copy rot, loc and stretch to on the extra bones. So far it seems to work in Blender, but will it have trouble with unreal or even in blender? I’m not intrested in compability with the default unreal skeleton.

Hi,
Sorry I dont know how to use this forum. it looks like neverendig thread where everyone can put a message.

problem : after armatures retargeting the foots of character stick to floor at the world begining.

in this case source foots bones are matched to c_foot_fk.l and c_foot_fk.r
I was also trying with rest of ‘c_foot’ bones but without results…

Do you have an idea how to fix it?

Be happy & healthy,

cavemanpl

Hi, i must say this is amazing addon to export for unreal engine !

However the export of the rigged model takes very long time even if the mesh is not dense. Sometimes the models i have to rig does not have not exact a pose like epics mannequin so i have to move the bones, match to rig and then export to see how it will look with mannequin animations inside unreal. And this requires multiple export but this is slow.

If export time cant be fixed, is there maybe a way to preview the final mannequin (for example idle)
inside blender? So i can avoid multiple exports and fix the positions before i finaly export to unreal?
Thanks in advance and thanks for this nice addon.

I have additional question regarding facial bones made by Autorig for export to unreal. I was adding the facial bones with Auto Rig pro Smart funktion, and skinned the face to this bones.
I used this settings:

Import to Unreal

There is a warning message. If i proceed it imports broken character.
What did i wrong? I can also post you a blender file if you would like to have a look…

PS: I have solve the problems. The problem was that i added facial setup after creating rig. If doing so, the rig was reseted to 3 spine bones instead of needed 4 to work insiden unreal…

Hey everyone,

So, exporting to UE4. Is there a way to export “c_eye_target” bone from ARP to UE4? Thanks!!

I have a question regarding pose and rest pose. Is there a way to bind meshes to a rig in a pose mode instead of rest pose? I have a jacket mesh which is already sculpted in the pose and i want to bind this so if i go back to the rest pose it deforms with the body mesh. If i bind the jacked in pose mode it doesn’t work.
If i “apply pose as rest pose” i can bind the mesh, but then i lose the A-pose…
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the simple question.
Is there a way to add bones for hair to an auto rig?
I went through some tutorials and blogs,
I couldn’t find it. Thank you.

Hi all!

After reading the official documentation, watched all youtube videos of Auto Rig Pro even from users, and days of testing, I did not manage to make mixamo animations work. I am pretty sure that it is because I am not linking properly the bones in the Bone list between source and target bones.

As the rig generated by ARP has always the same names, and mixamo´s rigs have always the same names, I really really appreciate if lucky or someone can share the Mapping Preset file between both, as in official Remapping video it is directly loaded to match a mixamo animation, so the targeting process of individual bones is skipped.

Please help and Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hi.

I will like to know please if your addon have, or will have, secondary controls for rotations for helping with gimbal lock issues.

See for example in the Rain rig here:

I use that option back when i animate in maya with advanced skeleton plugin and it really helps when the main rotation control got stock in gimbal lock.

Thanks

I’ve been adding more ears and just using them for hair.

1 Like

@lucky

Do you have a video demo of how the retargeting works?

@gaistaz Sorry, I have no experience with Marmoset. It might be an issue on the Marmoset Fbx import end, incomptability regarding Fbx file format version (2016, 2017…)