Hi all,
My name is Veronica and I’m part of a research team who wants to hear from
Blender users! Please take this 1-minute survey here:
https://autode.sk/2K9ZOOh9, to tell us about your Blender and community
experiences.
Do you also want to be interviewed on this topic? Talk with a User Researcher
and receive a gift card for your time. Choose “YES” to the last survey question
and provide your contact information.
Thank you!
I wonder what the purpose of the research survey is.
this is something new, they did public survey before but for their own products…something is going on here, either the new version 2.80 is shaking things up for them or they just want to know why blender’s community is more satisfied than theirs…i saw some autodesk staff members getting more engaged with their user base on social media but that something i expected as each released update is not as what people wanted to be.
In the past, Autodesk was pretty confident that Blender was not a threat at all and would never become relevant to the industry in general.
This could be the result of Blender not shackling itself to software ideology at the level it once did (with the development doing previously unspeakable things such as left-click selection, colored wireframes, and an industry-standard keymap as an option). Now Autodesk is taking notice.
It’s kind of interesting really, all Autodesk would’ve had to do to keep Blender from getting to this point in 2019 is have great prices (with permanent licensing) and pour a significant chunk of its massive income into R&D. Instead they focused on maximum profit at all costs and that drove people to alternatives.
Isn’t that great? Maybe they finally come out of stagnation which also challenge Blender once again, so nobody would be stuck in the same place, like it’s now for Autodesk?
I replied and I have my survey time next week. If the gift card is something that I can use for places in general, half of the $75 is going to stuff on Blender Market and half of it is going to the Foundation.
As far as I can tell, there’s really nothing that Autodesk can learn from me that they couldn’t by posting an open question here. I tried the 3DS Max student version, really liked it and appreciated the long educational license period, didn’t get very far with learning the software with it because I was doing other stuff, wondered how much a full license would cost if I ever did get into it, saw the price tag, said “no way in hell unless I was making $65 or $80K a year working primarily with that software”, tried Blender 2.79 and thought that drunken lizardpeople designed the UI, but stuck with it for a month or two and learned a few things, saw Blender 2.8, downloaded it, and became hooked on it. I’d consider myself an enlightened newbie with 3D art, but basically everyone here and also probably things growing under rocks in my front yard probably know more than I do so I’m not expecting that I’ll be able to provide the interviewer with very interesting conversation.