Automatic Renamer

I’m looking for a Blender add on that automatically renames green object data blocks to match the names of their orange data block counterparts.

Kind of like this, but automatically:

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 2.30.20 PM

1 Like

Hi Eisig,

I’d recommend the Simple Renaming Panel as it does have the feature your are looking for plus much more. It’s free or contribute to it if you want. See:

It’s available on GitHub also here: https://github.com/Weisl/simple_renaming_panel

On the Simple Rename panel use the “Data Name” option located at the bottom.
As always though always save your blend file before you test a new addon.

Cheers,
Paul

I created a quick addon for this. (it was literally only three lines of code lol :rofl:)

Match Mesh Data-Block to Object Name 2-8+.py (1.7 KB)
Match Mesh Data-Block to Object Name 2-79.py (1.7 KB)

2 Likes

Are there any additional steps I need to take outside of installing it? Because it’s not working.

I downloaded the 2.8+ file, since I’m using 3.4. Then I just went to the Add-On preferences and clicked the install button.

No. It should work just fine.
What about it isn’t working? Is it not installing, or just not doing anything? Also, how did you access it, via the keybinding or the button?

Sorry, I put too much faith in 3 lines of code. I thought it would just magically rename things as I typed. What does it mean when the button is in Object > Match Mesh Data-Block to Name?

It’s in the object menu up in the top left corner.
Screenshot from 2023-02-26 21-25-30
You can also access it via the keybinding CTRL+ALT+M.

It’s not possible for it to automatically change as you type since it works on all selected objects at once. So select all the objects you want to change and then hit CTRL+ALT+M or use the button.