Below is a short clip from the teaser for the upcoming Avatar 2 movie. I have been trying to replicate the waves, not the avatars, using Blender with the flip-fluid add-on, but find it very difficult to “scale” the waves.

out

Does anyone here know about a tutorial where the focus is on getting realistically scaled waves? There are plenty of tutorials around, but they are more focused on splashes and foams and don’t care much about getting the portion, i.e. the sense of scale, correct.

Here I don’t care about foam, just “soft” waves that you can find on a calm day on open water. Can anyone suggest an approach to replicate the scene, getting soft waves, scaled relative a human on open water (not including the avatars).

I had to create a large ocean moving background a while back and had the same issues.

I remember I used this tutorial think or one like it and did a variation on this method. So basically a large scale tiled animated displcement. This method does not use Flip Fluids but Blenders own native ocean modifier which might be more suitable for something like this where you are simply looking for a naturalistic undulating surface seen from close up foreground and off into the horizon.

There is this original version and an updated version too. Looks like the tutor’s hair got very long over the pandemic time just like mine.

Hope it helps

1 Like

Have in mind that movie scenes are more or less composited in layers. So you might get the initial result in one render, one-shot. However any other further refinements or alterations are extremely time consuming and cost inneficient to be fine tuned for the entire simulation and render. Other specialized details deserve to be implemented in compositor layers, in post production.

I’ll second that this effect is better to be faked with displacement. Nothing in this scene requires physics exclusively. At least for small project

1 Like