b.m.p.s. 1.5!

THX for the advice about that scenes. Seems to be located differently in Blender 2.5 but Yo advice points me the right direction so I find the scene selection ;).

The only down-side of that bmps scenes is its complexity imo. It takes A LOT of time to compute the render when the materials like gold or wax are applied and therefore its ALMOST unusable when someone with the “normal” computer wants to preview the material using Your scene (I have Win7 x64 and Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz and it takes from half an hour to few hours to make one render!!!).

Im computing the scenes now to provide the results here to show U if its computed correctly because I think and hope IT IS. On the other hand in many Blender 2.5 builds the program crashes when try to load Your scene (tested) so Im happy that the version I have does NOT ;). Will provide the results here ASAP.

Sincerely, JayM
So, here are the renders...

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6417/bmpsrenders.png

…enjoy!

Good to see you made the scenes work :)…

About render times… That has been a recurrent topic of discussion on the b.m.p.s. and I have stressed that the purpose of this project is to achieve the highest quality possible by Blender without worrying excessively about render times. The main reason for those long times is because of Blender’s raytracer which even when has received a good amount of fixes, it still has a lot of room for improvement.

OTOH, the Render branch (which hopefully will be merged eventually into Trunk) has improved render times a lot and in my tests. b.m.p.s. takes less time to render… Though they don’t look as they “should”. I’m making the corresponding changes so when the time comes, b.m.p.s. v2.0 will look better than ever and will render much faster :slight_smile:

Greets and thank you for taking the time to test and play with the b.m.p.s.

No problem Buddy,

I used some previous BMPS version when using Blender 2.49 and have to say I LOVE IT!!! Thats and UNBELIEVABLE job Uve done here! All the models are SO SMOOTH and DETAILED … really want to have the abilities to make models like U - do U made some tutorials or so?
And for the 2nd - as we speak about the Render branch U have some other version of renderer or what? Mean how U made some tests and gets a render speed-increase?

Sincerely, JayM

PS: Keep up Yo GREAT job mate!!!

Hello JayM… Sorry for taking this long to answer… Work has been crazy… Anyway…

First of all, thank you very much for those comments :slight_smile: they are much appreciated!.. Sadly I haven’t made any tutorials about it 'cause the process for modeling those elements was a little bit of a re-leaning process for me… I switched from Max a couple of years ago and the b.m.p.s was one of the first projects I made in Blender so the modeling is not perfect… Version 1.5 of the b.m.p.s. already addressed some of the issues from past versions but there’s still some issues to solve for next version.

Besides all that, i.e., for the Fluids scene, 75% of the “modeling” was really the fluids magic in action and some very tedious and meticulous labor of parameter setting… So basically, a modeling tutorial would be very hard to do… In any case, the modeling part of the b.m.p.s. project involves essentially the same skills that modeling a car or a mechanical element, so following several tutorials about car modeling would give you the skills to model any b.m.p.s. scene :smiley:

Finally, about the Render branch, after more and more testing, right now I have to take back the claim that render is much faster… The problem is that this branch is still very very very under development and maybe in one case rendertime is 3X faster but for other scene is 3X slower… Or worst, one build/revision is really fast and one week later, another build/revision is slower or crashes or shows artifacts on the image. So is best to wait several months until this branch stabilizes before giving proper veredict. (btw, I’m using a render branch build from GraphicAll).

Greets and thanks again for your comments.
tuqueque.

:smiley: i’m new at blender and realy do not know what to do!! in all this 2 weeks that i have started with blender i only know how to use the hot keys lol…and yet i dont rem all of them…shame on me…looool i’m realy near to give up but i wont…i have photoshop illustrator and all of the pacage…i know how to use photoshop a bit for photo editting …not that bad!!:slight_smile:

I’VE SEEN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE…AND WOW IT IS A GREAT WORK WOULD YOU LIKE TO TEACH ME SOMETHING??? :slight_smile: PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PROMISE I WILL BE A GOOD STUDENT!! NO LIESSSSSS :stuck_out_tongue:

IF U WILL CONTACT ME AT [email protected] oh also i’m on imvu my name is kirakis just tell me if u are on!!! kissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:cool:

i doubt that you’re for real, but if you were:

learn some forum behaviour. you’re totally of topic in this very old thread you bumped. also there is a HUGE support section on this forum. take a look at those first.

Cycles gets closer (merge to trunk in a few weeks), are you interested in converting it? Or anyone else? :slight_smile:

We could use such a great material preview.

Best regards,
DingTo

does anyone still have a copy of this? the link in the first post is dead.

Would be awesome if, by trying to select a material, a sculpt mode brush selection like menu would appear with these gorgeous preview renders :slight_smile:

+1. this would be an awesome idea.

A first updated version for Cycles materials can be found here: https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/tests/rendering/cycles/

@dingto is it in trunk? if so how do I find the material preview scene?

@aermartin, just download it from the link above. It’s not in trunk.

I like the idea of this being the new preview model, but I would much more prefer to be able to assign ANY model to the preview window…after all not all models are suited to all previews…and this model is a bit on the heavy side(polycount)…I still see it as an improvement over the current sphere though.

This is not in the render engine and not in trunk. It’s a normal blend file guys. :wink:

haha I though it should show up as the BI preview mat scene in the properties bar. a bit overkill since cycles is realtime you can render entire scene.

haha I though it should show up as the BI preview mat scene in the properties bar. a bit overkill since cycles is realtime you can render entire scene.
What if your scene has a lot of polys and other complex materials? I don’t want to wait for the entire scene to render when all I want to to see how glossy that material is.

Let’s say I want to create a material with a tileable texturem, in Cycles but in BI too… I’m sorry but don’t think this setup can work. Am I wrong or the UV setup doesn’t meet the requirements for creating such a material?

Some of you guys didn’t focus on the fact that this is just a test scene, good for material showcases, performance testing purposes, and stuff like this.
Its target use should be the same as for these similar scenes:
yafaray: http://www.yafaray.org/sites/default/files/IORexamples.png
mitsuba: http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/coatedcopper.jpg
maxwell: http://resources.maxwellrender.com/imagenes/script/big/WoodPlanks_7360.jpg
luxrender:http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/images/6/6b/Material_mirror.jpg
and so on…

Yeah, I know. But I would have a nice test scene to use for showcasing even tilable materials on my website.
Don’t you think it will look nicer if a textured material could look like this? http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?kingsize=1145
I only don’t know how to reach this kind of unwrapping. I’ll go on trying…