BAC#7 Voting Thread [Closed]

The way to do it is to open a thread in WIP calling for collaboration on both the Mesh and the Rig. Anyone can submit work and anyone can take what’s posted, modify it and resubmit it. If things go well you won’t even need a poll or contest to decide which one(s) are best. If they don’t go well it’s easy enough to run a contest and settle on one or two rigs.

I would do it myself but I don’t think I’m going to be here for the summer and whoever runs it needs to be able to edit the first post of the thread. If someone is willing to volunteer to start the ball rolling in the next 10 days or so I can put up an announcement so everybody knows about it.

%<

I am wiling to volunteer on this new idea of creating a new-mesh-rig. WIP would be the best way to go.:slight_smile:

Good, PM me a link to the thread when you’ve created it and I’ll make the announcement.

%<

First off, I’d like to say thanks for everyone who voted for my BAC #7 entry!!:yes: Now, what did I win??:wink: What, a copy of Blender 2.5 alpha 2?? It’s what I’ve always wanted!! I’m getting all misty eyed here…:o

I’ve been following the posts to this thread about a new character/rig for the challenge. Quite frankly, I don’t understand it, Pantin is a great character/rig and Pedro was nice too, a change of pace this time around. Instead of a biped, it was a quadruped which I thought was a bit more of a challenge. Both characters are easy enough to animate. I mean, I’m scratching my head wondering is a better/different looking character going to enable people to animate any better?? :no:

Let’s look at a couple of facts here… Here are the poll results for this round - 11 people voted for Pedro, 8 people voted for Pantin for this round. My opinion was

So 11 people voted for Pedro and I didn’t vote, out of 12 people there were 5 entries, plus 1 late one. Only half the people who voted actually entered…

bl33d posted looking for help for a short he is working on here and has gotten no response. Pipeline had an interesting idea for a series of challenges, here is his website for it. There were a lot of responses to this idea, but no one has really posted anything to his contest threads yet… BTW: I’m rendering one of my works right now.

And I’m not even going to mention all the open-movie projects I’ve seen posts for. To me, all these ideas have one thing in common, lots of opinions and no actions. Where are the other people who voted to use Pedro? Where are the people interested in Pipeline’s idea? And well, as for open movies… only the Blender Foundation has did it.

Fligh, I think you have an excellent idea about starting a WIP thread for a new character. I really hate to say it though, but I think I already know the outcome of this effort. After all, no one has come forward in this thread with anything other than an opinion.

Got any links for us??? :wink:

If Animaticoide doesn’t get anything started soon, I will. I already have an idea for another character, but is anybody else going to contribute anything other than their opinion??? :wink:

Randy

well long lines…you disagreed but you are going to start a new character?

I understand you are used to Pantin…but the point is to bring more people around the world to BAC and the best way is a better mesh character…the animation-rig would be similar…no too complex.

There is a psychology term that says: No one wants to leave the comfort line.

One more thing: I finish all I start…so if I said ““I would make the mesh and rig”” then it is not an opinion, it is a fact.

However you are the winer and you have the right to chose…so about saying “if Animaticoide does not start anything soon then I will” sounds weird to me. Go ahead and open the WIP and PM to FLIGHT (moderator)…you are the winner…if you want to make the design then go ahead.

cheers

Come, let’s not go thru all this again. Here’s the WIP thread and lets all work at getting something going which we can all enjoy using for the next year or so. And yes, just as important as a new rig is getting more potential contestants involved.

%<

Been there done that and it didn’t work. Having the freedom to design ones own character resulted in no to one participant most of the time. The people just tend to get carried away on designing a character and a scene and forget about animation which takes a long time. If you follow the contests threads you will see that a lot of people do not finish their entries properly due to time restrictions and that is within the strict rules we have now.
If you are eager to create a rig and a character why not opene rig and model challenge. The results from which we could use as the characters for the BAC.

@Animaticoide: I’d be glad to see you do a character and a rig as I really like your dinosaurs (http://vimeo.com/10855491) Hope this is you if not please correct me. But I must obey the rules so you will have to persuae revolt_randy to use it.

I am totally open to whatever the community wants. I view the BAC as a good thing.

Everyone is given the same character and set and time limit, a very even playing field for everyone to start with. From this starting point, it’s up to the animation skills of the people entering the challenge. It’s a great chance for everyone to work on their animation skills.

Will a better looking character improve anyone’s animation skills??

I’m a patient person, I’m willing to wait to see what the community wants to use as a character for the next round…

Randy

When will start the new BAC