BAC#7 - Want to use a New Rig?

Hello animators

here is a question for those who wish to participate in the next BAC

Do you want to use Pantin again?
there will be a 2.49 and 2.5(alpha1) version for people to animate with

or do you want to mix things up and use a new Rig?
I have created a Quadraped rig that might be fun to animate with (http://www.vimeo.com/9393966)
BUT this rig only works with Blender 2.5alpha1 onwards
It will be a lot of work downgrading the Rig so it will work with 2.49
(and I don’t see a lot of point spending the time to make the rig less intuitive)

So here are your options

Pantin (2.49 and 2.5)
or Pedro (2.5 only)

EDIT: Pedro has won the voting but there is a 2.49 and 2.5 version of the file
the new challenge will start around Friday

Have Fun

Attachments

Well, I really wanted to use Pedro, but as not to make you work overtime :p, I voted Pantin. I’m not remotely comfortable even using 2.5, much less animating. Once the Blending Life contest is over, I’m going to force myself into 2.5. Until then, I’m focusing on this.

2.5 is actually much easier and faster to use (and the way of the future)
it does however take a day or 2 to adjust so it’s not all smooth sailing
but once you have adjusted - it makes much more sense
(and it makes it hard to go back to 2.49)

there are some great new features in 2.5 but not all the old feature have been ported yet :frowning:
I don’t think people should be afraid of 2.5 as in a few months or so - that’s what everyone will be using

If enough people really really want to use Pedro and 2.49 - I will downgrade the rig
but only if that is what people want - so let me know if you do

cheers

Could be fun to see a new rig in action :slight_smile:
And this is a good opportunity to start (if you didn’t do it yet) with Blender 2.5. I agree with Waylow, it’s just a day or two to learn 2.5. Some of the controls, buttons moved, but you already have many tutorials / help so it’s quite fast to get used to it.And then it’s so much better than it’s hard to go back to 2.49 !

Can you tell what features haven’t been ported yet? I think that’s key to decide, to avoid surprises once people are on the road.

why not download it and see?

can you animate with it - yes
(I did my entire BAC#6 with 2.5)
The only thing I have found problematic is you there is no Ofs Bone: for setting walk cycles to actually move forward yet

I have found a work around for this - which I can explain at a later time

but if you run into trouble - you can ask - as the forums are here to HELP people

(I am, however, working on a 2.49 version on Pedro so don’t fear - it won’t have any of the cool features but it will work)
That is of course if people choose to use Pedro

Well your answer seems like you have not clue what things aren’t ported yet. Download it ? Ask if you get in trouble? I will explain later?

It seems like you want to look cool but you have not clue what is going on? Please if you open a poll then please specified what type of problem we will be facing of…No offense I just want to bring people to reality, and start being professional and realistic…What are the potential problem we will be facing up while animating? meaning things that aren’t ported yet as you stated? can you be explicit when saying: off course it won’t have the cool features like 2.5 !…well said them…do not start other chain of confusion PLEASE !.. Guessing is not a solution !

Well your answer seems like you have not clue what things aren’t ported yet. Download it ? Ask if you get in trouble? I will explain later?

It seems like you want to look cool but you have not clue what is going on? Please if you open a poll then please specified what type of problem we will be facing of…No offense I just want to bring people to reality, and start being professional and realistic…What are the potential problem we will be facing up while animating? meaning things that aren’t ported yet as you stated? can you be explicit when saying: off course it won’t have the cool features like 2.5 !..well said them…do not start other chain of confusion PLEASE !.. Guessing is not a solution !

chill out man :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems like you want to look cool but you have not clue what is going on? Please if you open a poll then please specified what type of problem we will be facing of…No offense I just want to bring people to reality, and start being professional and realistic…What are the potential problem we will be facing up while animating? meaning things that aren’t ported yet as you stated? can you be explicit when saying: off course it won’t have the cool features like 2.5 !..well said them…do not start other chain of confusion PLEASE !.. Guessing is not a solution ! Neither deleting comments is a solution.

Waylow,

I didn’t vote on this topic. I started to play with 2.52 today a bit, and yeah…it’s a bit to learn, but it’s the way of the future. Adapt, or get left behind. I’m in no matter which way you go 2.49b or 2.52… I have no opinion…

Randy

I’d very much like to continue using Pantin for the animation challenges. I’m not opposed to learning the 2.5 thing, I would just put my vote down for continuing a good thing and stick with Pantin.

Thanks to all who voted so far

Changing the rig doesn’t mean it’s permanent (the first challenge was with Mancandy)

I think people might benefit from a change and enjoy the challenge of a 4 legged creature
(Quadrupeds aren’t easy - but that is where the challenge comes in)

I might keep the voting open for another day or so

But I have prepared both Pantin and Pedro in BOTH 2.49 and 2.5.2
Although both Pantin and Pedro work better in 2.5.2

I have sent both the scenes to Musk

So look for the next challenge really soon

Sounds good, thanks for taking initiative! :smiley: