Back ground scene

is there any way to make it so that a background scene doesn’t move with the camera? basically, what I want is to have a sky box and have myst at the same time, but i don’t want the mist to hide the skybox, only the objects in the scene. Can I do this somehow?

thanks…

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/6084/Idothisalot.png

I know about that, but I’m asking about any alternative way than background scenes. When you add a background scene the scene moves with the camera, so that no matter where the camera moves the background is exactly the same. That doesn’t make it look very natural because the sky moves with the camera, which I don’t want. Is there any other way to do it?

Make the camera in the background move the same as the one in the current scene. Or don’t use mist, as this just slows down Blender in 2.34.

just make a skybox, then use python to make the camera in the background layer rotate with the GAME layer camera.

GAME looks funny if it’s typed like this. Reminds me of Game boy Advance. :smiley:

Yeah just copy the camera object to the other scene, with the same ipos and control mechanisms, and it should rotate at the same time as the one in the main scene. No python necesary :slight_smile: Using python would add a 1 frame delay which looks weird.

I did that, but now the mist hides the skybox when it gets beyond the mist’s boundary, which is what I don’t want. I wnated to know if there was a way to make the skybox move with the camera but not be hidden by the mist, but i guess there isn’t one…

Just make the skybox in the background scene smaller, it wont be behind the mist, and make the camera in the background scene only rotate, NOT move.

that works, thanks!

How do I copy objects to other scenes?

Bye

Make a new scene, then select full copy.

That I know, but that’s the only way?

ctrl-L links an object to another scene, then you can copy the object and delete the linked one.

I´m trying to make this work and wouldn´t like to copy all the mechanisms from the first camera to the skybox scene because it would duplicate the logic. The skybox is not moving with these scripts… what´s wrong?

Linked to the main camera:

import GameLogic
cont = GameLogic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.getOwner()
GameLogic.pos = own.getPosition()
GameLogic.ori = own.getOrientation()

Linked to the skybox camera:

import GameLogic
cont = GameLogic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.getOwner()
own.setPosition(GameLogic.pos)
own.setOrientation(GameLogic.ori)

Are you sure both scripts are running every frame? (pulse mode on in the always sensor) Also it would be safer to check if pos and ori are in gamelogic in the second script, otherwise it could give an error if it runs before the other script has a chance:

if hasattr(GameLogic,"pos"):
   own.setPosition(GameLogic.pos)
   own.setOrientation(GameLogic.ori)

WHat you will end up seeing when you get this set up to work however, is a 1 frame delay between the two scenes. The main scene camera will move, but the skybox will lag behind a little bit. It doesn’t seem like something you would notice, but trust me it’s noticable:) That’s why duplicating the logic is a safer bet, both camera movements happen on the same frame.

I dont´t think I fully grasped the pulses way of working… Well, that was the problem. Both are set to on now. The skybox is moving now, but not quite right yet. Will study it further.

Thanks a lot, Saluk !

Got it working fine. Thanks. And yes, the 1 frame lag is there…