Bake Wrangler (beta) - New Nodes based Baking tool (with PBR support)

Thanks a lot for your input! :slight_smile:

• The textures are forcely baked at 8-bit? Iā€™v changed to 16-bit from ā€˜outputā€™ panel, yet the textures are baked at 8-bit: which could create ā€˜bandingā€™ effect issues on normal maps: any plan to let the user select 16/32-bit too?

Yes, there are some problems with output image settings and addons. I did intend to let you choose more format options but it was proving to be a problem. I wil need to find a work-around for it at some point.

• Your script could manage to make nodes like roughness/metalness/normalmap to automatically switch them to ā€˜non-colorā€™ when you bake using their material? If non-color is not chosed for those slots, the baked result are flat colors on the uv islands (like bright pink for the metallness texture). At least I would add it as a troubleshoot in your addon description to avoid false-bug reports.

They should already be using non-color?

• For the ā€˜albedoā€™ can you add a check to enable ā€˜environment/lightingā€™ baking and AO baking to turn albedo textures like diffuse textures? And the option of ā€˜Object/World spaceā€™ for the normal map? ID map bake would be useful too.

I will add the rest of the built in bake passes as well as their options. Iā€™m not sure if you would need the albedo options then? You could just use the combined pass?

How do you imagine the ID map would work?

• I would suggest an option which rename using the lowpoly name as a prefix; the type of the selected pass as a suffix; the selected format as file extension naming.

Like a check box to auto generate names? One thing is an image could have multiple lowpolys as inputā€¦ I guess it could use the first oneā€¦

• The automatic creation of a material which use the baked textures would be dope: but that would be hard to do if you canā€™t bake all the necessary passes in one-click(?)

I plan on letting you connect the bakes to a batch node that will process all of them in the order they are connected to it.

• Seems like the baked texture donā€™t have an alpha channel even if I feed the alpha slot (ā€˜output image pathā€™ node) with the color input (from ā€˜bake passā€™ node).

Okay, I will have a look into that! Thanks!

Easy enough to add for high poly. But if you use a collection for both high and low poly how do you imagine it would work? It could bake each low poly using ALL of the high polys for each. Or there could be some system where it recognizes some naming conventions? It could also merge the low polys into one object, but that may not be desirableā€¦

This addon has huuuge potential, hope youā€™ll not abandon it! At least let other devs help you to develop it! Cheers!

Thanks! I would like to make it useful for everyone, there are some more features I will add. But how far I can take it depends a lot on finanical support at this point.