Bake Wrangler - Node based baking tool set

I haven’t been able to bake with masking in the most recent version with 2.83.

Here is the error I receive:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File “”, line 1, in
File “C:\Users\Mohamed Atef\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\BakeWrangler\baker.py”, line 1248, in
main()
File “C:\Users\Mohamed Atef\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\BakeWrangler\baker.py”, line 1233, in main
err = process_tree(args.tree, args.node)
File “C:\Users\Mohamed Atef\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\BakeWrangler\baker.py”, line 89, in process_tree
err, img_bake, img_mask = process_bake_pass_input(bake[2], output_format)
File “C:\Users\Mohamed Atef\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\BakeWrangler\baker.py”, line 339, in process_bake_pass_input
err += bake_mask(img_mask, unique_mats, bake_settings, to_active, target, selected)
File “C:\Users\Mohamed Atef\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\BakeWrangler\baker.py”, line 605, in bake_mask
for obj in selected.objects:
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘objects’

Blender quit

Keep in mind that it used to work well in the previous version (I think RC1) in 2.82.

I may not fully understand when you should use masking or not, but I previously used it when I needed to bake from more than one object to a single image.

Masking isn’t needed for most bakes. I’ve been working on user documentation and will add some examples of how to use some of the less understood features soon.

Have you tried RC3 that I just put out today? Any way now that I have all the features fully implemented for this version I can fix up any issues with blender 2.83.

When working on this update I noticed that having open multiple ‘Bake Editors’ didn’t work properly for new trees and updates, which I fixed. But I’m wondering how that should evolve in the future… I think being able to have different trees open is good (unlike the Materials editor which syncs the open material between all editors). Though baking from different trees at the same time, while it works, isn’t really something I had in mind when designing it and isn’t supported well by the output system.

Is baking from different trees (or even the same tree from different points) simultaneously something people would like to see supported?

Yeah I figured I didn’t need masking in my situation, which is baking from multiple objects to a single pass and a single image. I will check out the documentation for sure regarding the masking feature.

I haven’t tried RC3 yet, I will download and use it for sure.

As for baking from multiple open windows, for me the baking I currently do is very simple PBR and it can be done in a single tree, so I don’t see myself using the feature currently. Of course, a more experienced user can point out its usefulness.

I personally think that the token feature you talked about would be very useful for the future, especially with maybe an automatic batch baking system. (output different image for each object or material …etc)
These are however only simple user experience features, but what the add-on offers in its current state is already amazing and a huge time saver! I have been able to cut a lot of time from forgetting to select the correct image in the node editor to forgetting to change the samples to forgetting to select the correct objects…etc, and that is only for my simple baking. So thank you for the great work!

I think in the future when the add-on is fully released and in a state you think is stable enough, you should contact some big Blender YouTubers for some coverage.

Tried using this, after baketool kept crashing on my system.
And this seems to do the same. I’d be more than happy to support development, if I can find a working solution.

I am currently assuming it might have something to do with running Blender on MacOS.
But I don’t know enough, what information can I provide to help with this?

Really should work fine on MacOS. With 2.83 just come out there could be problems I’m not aware of…

First go into the add-on preferences and turn on Debug. If it crashes during a bake this should cause a log file to be displayed in a new window afterward. If so, post the log here.

You can also just send me your .blend along with a description of how to reproduce the crash.

It’s also possible that a different add-on is actually causing it to crash, so you could try it with other 3rd party add-ons disabled.

(I’m not getting any problems in my tests with 2.83 and RC3 other than Subsurface pass no longer being supported and a bug with multiple pass inputs, which I will drop a fix for today)

1 Like

Can I bake hair particles from high poly mesh to low poly with BW?

BakeWrangler doesn’t currently consider particle systems on objects when baking. However you can convert your hair system to a mesh, and include it as a source object. You can also enabled the ‘Use My Settings’ option on the ‘Pass node’ to pick the Cycles render settings from one of your own scenes to tweak the results.

I didn’t really consider hairs to be useful to bake, since they don’t really lend themselves to baking in general.

What properties of the hair do you want to bake? Is it a common thing you bake? I can look into adding support for it if it’s a common task…

1 Like

BakeWrangler doesn’t currently consider particle systems on objects when baking. However you can convert your hair system to a mesh, and include it as a source object. You can also enabled the ‘Use My Settings’ option on the ‘Pass node’ to pick the Cycles render settings from one of your own scenes to tweak the results.

I didn’t really consider hairs to be useful to bake, since they don’t really lend themselves to baking in general.

What properties of the hair do you want to bake? Is it a common thing you bake? I can look into adding support for it if it’s a common task… Otherwise the convert to mesh option is probably fine?

1 Like

mainly bake short hairs for real time character hair and fur animals.
ideally I would bake short hair like this

and base layer of hair on skull (normally hand painted), also short hairs near root of hair cards for better blending.
depend on the amount of short hair needed, if converted to mesh, it might increase poly count to millions when baking.
just simple color property of hair on to target mesh.

I don’t think the massive number of polys would hurt baking times that much, since you would not need a high number of samples.

I’m actually not sure if it’s possible to bake hairs, unless you use polys to represent them? It’s not something I’ve ever done… Can you do this with the blender internal bake system? If so, what are the settings used?

While I can look into it, any information you can provide on the process saves me time and it may be something that is relatively simple to add. Especially if you already know a method of doing it…

I don’t use blender for baking, BW makes it easier for my mind to wrap around the blender baking system.
I will use converted poly hair for baking then. thanks for the reply.

I will see if it’s possible when I get a chance then :wink:

Boolean is also the only problem of this add-on for me (tested RC4).
If it is fixed, this add-on will be a heaven for modeling inner fruit!
Thank for your hard work!

Edit: By the way, I like your mushroom witch icon.

You’re having problems with Booleans? What is the issue?

Recently I saw this video, which shows that for certain passes if you change the Tile Size to be the exact same value of the Image Size that you are baking to, then the baking process is extremely faster.

In his example, baking a 512x512 Ambient Occlusion, changing from Tile Size 32 to 512 reduced the baking time from 28s to only 4s (at 1024 spp), that’s a 7x improvement in baking speed.

He said this improvement happens for all ‘Emit’ passes, but I don’t know what are these. He said that Diffuse and AO are both faster. He saw no improvement from Normal baking from High to Low poly, since it works differently, but expects a faster bake if baking Normal from a texture (bitmap or procedural).

I’m not sure how Bake Wrangler uses the Tile Size when baking, since I haven’t had the need to use the addon so far, but maybe it would be interesting to consider this fact to produce faster bakes (if not already).

1 Like

Here is my (bug) report.

I expect the result to be :-

but the result from the add-on is noisy:-

I guess the error in add-on is related to boolean modifier (the Difference mode).
It seems to me that the modifier is not applied before baking.

Here is the blend file MangoSteenCutForNetherby.blend (1.1 MB).
The Bake Wrangler setup is in “Netherby’s Bake Wrangler” Workspace (2nd tab of the file).

My current workaround is applying all modifiers before baking.
Hope I explain my problem clearly enough.
Thank for your dedication and please feel free to ask me for more information.

@Evandro_Costa Interesting, seems like something worth experimenting with… Most passes are already quite fast, but it could possibly greatly improve cavity and such.

@hyyou Thanks, I thought I had fixed this… But maybe I unfixed it at some point. I will look into what is going on!

Oh something else I’ve discovered, which I’m not sure about: Blender applies the ‘Alpha’ input from Principled BSDF to Roughness, Emission and Transmission when baking those maps… Is this actually the correct behaviour for creating a PBR texture, does anyone know? It strikes me as being incorrect, but I figure the Blender devs may have a better idea than me :stuck_out_tongue:

@hyyou I’ve looked over the file and the issue is that the cutter object is animated. The boolean gets applied at the first frame when it’s above the object. I hadn’t really considered wanting to bake at a specific frame. How would you like it to handle this? I’m thinking it should use the current frame when you press bake, but does that do all you want?

2 Likes

Hi, and well played for this addon. I downloaded it 10min ago. I try to get a curvature map. But my image stay empty (grey). I think I do a mistake but what ?
Thanks for the help.

1. Thank a lot. I have never thought that animating can cause issue.
    Yes!! I would like just to bake the current single frame.
  1. Because you asked, I become more greedy.
    If it doesn’t take too much effort,
    I would like current-frame (1 integer) to be an input of “Objects” node too.
    It can save me some time for baking a lot of fruit via different keyframes.
    However, I can see difficulty for add-on coding.
    It doesn’t applicable with current architecture of the “Objects” node that has list as input.

Now, I am very happy - it is totally because of my keyframe. :rofl:
This add-on is spectacular.
Perhaps, you may consider attaching your bibliography/blog page to your first post.
People would love to learn more about you. (http://dancingfortune.com/ is blank)

(I am not the developer.)
Did you do UV / keyframe?
Sometimes, create an active image node / select the destination object as active can help.

If you share the file or a simple reproducible .blend, I believe people can help better.