Baking fluid simulation causes crash

Hi, I’m in Blender 3.3.1, and my scene involves an effector falling into a liquid domain in order to create a splash. I have all the collisions set up how I want, but every time I try to bake, Blender will close upon completion of the frame range, or if I “pause” baking past a certain point. There are no crash logs or console errors or anything like that, Blender just closes.
I’ve watched task manager to see if I’m reaching max RAM or VRAM or overheating and I’m not.
I did some experimenting and found I’m able to pause/resume up until a certain threshold; the cache size seems to max out around 3gb. Pausing right before this threshold, saving, reopening and resuming bake still causes blender to close. I’m unable to do any resolution higher than about 85 for my desired frame range, but am able to do a higher resolution for a smaller frame range.
This would lead me to think it’s something to do with the cache size or not having enough disk space to accommodate the disk cache, but neither of those should be factors (cache size set to well above 3gb in preferences, plenty of disk space).
I’ve found multiple posts in forums talking about similar issues, and they suggested switching compression volumes from “blosc” to “zip” or “none” in OpenVDB format, or just switching to UniCache format entirely. Neither of these have changed my results.
My pc isn’t fantastic (32gb RAM, 6 VRAM), but I feel like I should be able to bake much higher resolutions without these issues, even if it takes a while.
Is there some setting I’m missing to increase allowed cache size?