Baking without principled BSDF

I wanted to know if it is possible to bake something without using the principled BSDF in blender.

Everytime i try to bake this, using the principled BSDF the texture just comes out with errors and a lot darker, and when i dont use it, it just comes out black.

Most of my bakes use no external light (not even World) and an Emission node, no Principled BSDF node. So yes, it’s possible. Not saying that Emission is the way to go for what you’re doing with the Light Paths though, and I can’t tell what’s causing your problem.

But there is only different colors when light is around, soo light is needed

With a nodetree as you have, baking won’t work.

Remove the LightPath, the MathNode, the top left Add Shader and the last MixShader; They aren’t doing anything.

Add an ImageTexture node, create a new texture, and then Bake the ‘Combined’.
Without this step, there’s nothing to bake.

Blender Docs - Source

1 Like

i know that i need an image texture to bake. I tried this many times but the image texture just comes out a lot darker or with a lot of errors.

As Secrop notes above, that’s not the only issue. What have you done about the rest of it?

More info (including the oft-mentioned please post the blend file, or a version of it that has the problem and has been truncated to get under the forum’s 5k limit) could be helpful. As a new user your ability to upload files here is restricted (you could use an outside service and link here), but now that you’ve posted a few times you might be able to do it.

Ok im going to leave the blender file here. The file as a lot of things because ive been experimenting a lot lately to get this to work but yea. Thank you by the way.

Your Bowl object has some issues…

First, you should to ‘Apply’ all modifiers to the geometry. And then, flip the Normals so that they point outside.

It’s puzzling to me how people can talk about baking without discussing the goal of it. “Baking” is just saving something to a texture. …or not even a texture. :smiley: Just basically saving some per-computed data. It can be done to store geometry details, various light information, surface properties, procedural textures, to remap textures to different UV maps and for other purposes. Without the context, nobody knows what anybody is talking about. But that doesn’t seem to bother anyone here. :smiley:

Welcome :tada:…

For the bowl…
…you have multiple Material Output nodes in your setup… even connecting an image directly to the (shader) output…

…and i did not search all the objects ( Circel, Cube, Cube.001.. ..Cube.008, potato.001.. ..potato.004 ) to find the material with the shader you showed…

If you want help… you should make it easy for potential helpers to help you… saves a lot of time for everyone… :wink:

Yes, and OP said that the file had some experiments… But my first post (about the nodetree) is still part of the answer.

And the problem in this thread ( “[…] it just comes out black.”) is caused by flipped normals, which logically are very important to sample direct/indirect illumination (samples were just being thrown inside the object).

1 Like

That’s a hint in the same direction… tidy up the shader… (modifiers,… two solidfiy…)
…also…

Have not seen any difference when cutting the Lightpath… but some actual color for the emmision:

1 Like

First of all im sorry for not organizing the blender file… im so stressed with this that i didnt even think of doing that. And thanks a lot to all the people that responded, as you all can see im a bit new to blender so yea thank you all for helping.

So the problem with the colors is fixed! but now the texture is all bugged out, i think that this can be because of the normals? but i dont really know how to fix this

Using solidify modifier gives you geometry… but no UV’s at the new edges… you have to apply the modifer and unwrap the edge to get a vomplet unwrapped object… so you also get different UV’s for the inner and outer part.

I did what you said but now the uv map is like this. And the image result is very low quality

Well… you might have to unwrap the newly solidifierd bowl… a bit mote suited … ?? The outer part could almost like before then add the new edge and the upper part of the inner part… the part “in the soup” may not need any big UV islands at all… :person_shrugging:

This is so confusing, im going to try what you said but i didnt really understand it.

After applying the solidfy modifier… the UVs the outer part overalps and should be moved; the "unseen: could be sacled to very smal … the bowl edge is flat and should be properly unwrapped…