Banjo

I think it needs a “Deliverance” scene :slight_smile: Just kidding, it really came out nice.

@harleynut97

You’re probably right! I’ve been debating on what kind of scene to put it in and decided to go with this. Thanks again for pointing out the issues with the arm rest. I may add some feedback speakers too.

Makes me think of this:

Earl Scruggs’ coffin on the stage of the Opry last year. That right there is the most valuable banjo in the world…not only that banjo, because it was his, but every other Gibson, because that’s what he played. The closer to his year and model the more it’s worth.

Rant over. Model looks excellent!

@sweasel

Cool picture, but great, now you’ve thrown in organic modeling at which I am horrible at! And, it appears I have the floor oriented 90 degrees out and the wrong color. I don’t think I will go that far with my scene, but thanks for posting the picture!

Oh, I wasn’t suggesting you copy it! Who the heck wants to model a coffin? (That’s what’s under the flowers).

Putting some dirt and wear on the banjo head isn’t a bad idea, though.

I know, but it would be fitting even though this isn’t a Gibson. There actually is some wear marks on the head where your pinky finger rubs. Maybe I need to make it darker.

Ah, so there is. That would be an adequate amount of dirt for a fairly new head or a casual player. It takes a LOT of playing to wear it off right down to the plastic.

You’ll notice there’s one very distinct, dark spot on Earl’s banjo…that’s the X position, near the bridge, where you put your hand to play the lower five frets. The Y position, near the neck, is where you put your right hand when you play high up the neck (which is why it’s a fainter mark). Earl planted pinkie AND ring finger, so of course everybody tries to do that.

I can’t. My ring finger lifts no matter what I do. Also, I plant my pinkie behind the bridge, which is a real no no. And the dark spot on my banjo head rats me out.

Next time, maybe you’ll model a tuba and tell me to take a hike :wink:

@sweasel,

Not at all. I really do appreciate your insight. I, on the other hand, couldn’t play an instrument if my life depended on it!

Another small update.