Baptism for use in churches

Hi,

Made this during my sabbatical from church last year.

Baptism

Sim/Modelling/Rendering Blender
Basically Ocean is done using my own ‘Big Ocean’ shader
14 Fluid Sims are done using FlipFluids with a few minor modifications of my own to aid with compositing
Compositing : Fusion
Edit: Resolve

At some point in the next week or two I’ll try and do a break down of the different components to put it together.

RevDr

1 Like

Some images from the ‘Baptism Project’.

RevDr

1 Like

Love the water shaders. The underwater stuff with the volume rays would’ve saved my ass in a project last year. I’ve still been meaning to investigate creating such a scene.

1 Like

I’ll try and post something in my spare time about how I did it soon - church is a bit busy this week.

The underwater volume rays are all ‘cheats’ though. That’s all done in Fusion, basically use the surface of the water with some noise added as the input into the rays node. When the camera moves I just animated the source position of the rays which helps with the look a little.

2 Likes

Hey,

even though I am mostly anti religion and as such was initially kind of taken aback by the message, I have to say you’ve got some nice images here ! Both under and above water look nice, I like the fish school, very natural - was that a particle system with flocking behaviour ?
Direction wise though, I feel every shot having this arbitrary camera movement around the text and being abruptly cut gives off quite a repetitive feeling. I would have gone for a single dolly shot advancing over the waves, with the texts emerging sequentially, as I think it would have fitted the message better - sort of a ‘forward unto …’ feel. Nice work !

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

The fish school and flock of birds were both with Blenders particle system flocking.

I know what you mean about making it a longer shot. My ‘original’ plan was to have some shots lasting much longer (a little like the pen-ultimate one but longer). I had the original idea to do the video well over two years ago (possibly 3) - but blender fluids were just not up to it so I put it on the shelf. When the amazing FlipFluids came along I did a ‘proof of concept’ early last year to see if it could work and then put most of it together over the Autumn when I had a sabbatical.

There were a few reasons why I did not do longer shot. The main one being breaking it down like this gave me much more flexibility in developing the whole video and what order things would appear in - this is really more down to my lack of planning everything out before hand than anything else. At the start of sabbatical I was aiming for 60 seconds in the end it is around 150 seconds as I kept adding to it. A long shot just wouldn’t have been practical with my continuous refining and changing. Another reason was it was (at least when I started) difficult to relocate FlipFluid sims once they have been calculated (at least I was having trouble with that). By having most of the shots set around the origin it did away with that. Also it makes compositing a little easier. FlipFluids doesn’t allow more than one sim in a scene at a time (not sure I would have enough memory even if it did) - so the penultimate shot is 3 separate scenes all rendered separately and then composited together.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback again.