Basic Matt Sketches/Art Journal

I’m here to make sure Matt’s sketchbook is created. I have done my job. Yay me!

Late Feb:
It was the release of Unreal Engine 4’s Metahuman that got me curious again about 3D and 3D art. I don’t have plans to make games but thought it would be cool to model random things. I chose Blender to do this, it being a powerhouse of a software, free, and the community around it being great! Also, I played around with Blender 2.5 some time ago, I probably wasn’t able to do anything past selecting and rescaling the default cube lol

March 4:

• Like a lot of other Blender newcomers, I started with the doughnut and followed Blender Guru’s Intro to Blender 2.8

March 5:

March 6:

• Watched the official Blender 2.80 Fundamentals (I skipped the rigging part as their explanation was just too confusing for me)
  • Following the doughnut series was fun and a good introduction into what Blender can do. Still, I felt that if I were to be able to make anything by myself, I’d need to learn the software. Going through the official Blender 2.80 Fundamentals (linked above) felt like I improved my skills by A LOT. I recommend getting to know the software so you can problem-solve better when creating your own stuff!
  • Watched | PigArt | BLENDER Timelapse: Low poly Wolf (PigArt, 2014)
  • Modeled a Goat

March 7:

March 8:

• The lighting on my rabbit above sucks, time to study lighting.
  • Took the lighting course by Blender Guru, only falling asleep 3 times lol He does a good job, i was just tired i guess

March 9:

March 10:

March 11:

• Modeled a Black Bear
  • and rigged her using Rigify (Rigging your 3d model and it working is probably one of the most exciting things that could happen! lol)
  • My black bear looks scared (as they usually are when they see people) but this was unintentional lol remember not to feed them!
  • Rigify may be overkill for my simple low poly models rn, I may have to actually watch the official Blender Intro to Rigging soon.
  • Up next that and sculpting!
  • This has been a week progress of someone new to 3D and Blender!
1 Like

Mar 12:

• Watched AgenZasBrothers’ Introduction: Sculpting in Blender (Tutorial EN)
  • Used a pre-made human model that came along with CG Drive’s Rigify Tutorials
  • I applied subsurf (x3 ithink it was) to make the model sculpt-ready
  • I used mostly the strip and the crease brushes, I followed (tried to at least) AgenZasBrothers’ techniques
  • Changing the brush size a lot tends to result in inconsistent “roughness,” Note to self: work in levels of details
  • I excluded the extremities (the hands and the feet) and the head, I thought they needed a bit more practice before I got into sculpting minute anatomical structures
  • Not sure if my Anatomy and Physiology instructor is going to be proud or if he’s going to shake his head lol

• Am just now realizing I forgot to do his superior trapez lol meh…
  • I definitely ruined the feet though! I realized too late, not sure now how to fix, probably just fill it in or grab it from below and smooth afterwards.
  • A&P teach def shaking is head lol