Basic texturing question

Hi all, I am new to Blender and 3D modelling in general and have a very basic texturing question. I have a scene with a courtyard which simply consists of 4 connected walls (one object) which have no thickness. I just want to add a stone wall texture to the inside of this which I am having a lot of trouble with. I cannot get the correct mapping option and I can’t find documentation about it that I can understand. I have tried the default Generated option as well as Object. If I use Generated then the image is stretched to the dimensions of the wall. If I use Object then I enter a whole world of pain - if I choose the wall object as the Object property the orientation of the wall seems to affect the mapping result - so two ends of the courtyard look correct but the other two do not. If I choose no Object as the Object property then when the camera moves, so does the texture.

My basic questions are:

1. Do I need to make 4 separate walls and map them individually or can I just have a single 4 walled object?
  2. What is the best mapping method - one of the 2 I have tried so far or UV or something else?
  3. Can someone point me to documentation or tutorial that shows what I am trying to achieve?

I’m guessing what I want to do is pretty simple - I want to apply a simple repeatable texture to a flat surface and for the pattern to repeat if I decide to change the size of the surface. Basically I’m pretty confused about all this and would welcome a pointer in the right direction. Thanks.

Hello, I am a newbie myself but will try to help as best as I can,

UV is very good because you have control over what is mapped where. Read this:

However this will not work very well if your wall is huge compared to each brick, because you will
need a huge image and that will slow things down. There you need some repeating texture.

See if this example helps (a cube with coordinates “generated”, projection “cube”)
It works well on planes too (all three objects have the same material). Dont ask me why it works, though :slight_smile:

So your worse case scenario is to split the wall in four objects and texture each of them as the planes
are textured above.

I hope this helps.
Dimitris

[ATTACH]216846[/ATTACH]