Batavia 1627

It is quite a while back that I have posted new work, this is because I spend all my time ( 1.5 year) on my new project: Batavia 1627.

Thumbnail

I tried to merge my CG worlds into a realtime large VR environment. For this I cooperated with a Dutch museum to display all of this in a VR setup on location. We picked the HP Reverb to display the content.

The project was intense, I had lots of challenges to make it work, but happy to see it all working now. All assets where made with Blender. I used the Unreal engine 4 to make it work in VR. Users can fly around and discover some nice hotspots in the city. If we get through the test period we might launch it on steam.

In short, Batavia is nowadays called Jakarta. My reference was an old map from 1627. I worked with a researcher to help me with all architecture details. Characters and boats where created by team members.

Texture Haven was used for most texture work. If you like to see the full work in progress, take a look on my artstation page to see more info and WIP development : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2x10bv

74 Likes

You’re #featured! :+1:

I don’t have words for this… Avesome work.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

it looks amazing! absolutely phenomenal.

Breath taking beauty :slight_smile: Stunning work
Wonder why there are like 1 handful of comments?!?!?

Just: WOW. :open_mouth:

really beautiful, well done!

Congratulate on this project. It’s amazing in every aspect, great way to save and share cultural heritage.

WOW!

Further words fail me! Incredible work!

Read about the creation of this scene on BlenderNation: