Be back here on linux soon

I am going to dually boot Linux on this laptop. I already have windows and I’m keeping it. I am using a dvd from my programming professor for Mandriva. Hopefully when I make my next post, it will be from Linux.

Welcome to the family! Hope Mandriva works for you.

I got it to work after a few hours of partitioning the c: drive. It kept setting aside too few gigabytes. Unfortunately, I am on Windows right now for the internet. I couldn’t get the wireless to work on Mandriva. (Wireless is all I have available at my apartment. Cheap managers… ) I’ll be looking up more info on the main site.

Well… the main site for mandriva is absolutely no help. I just reconfigured some stuff and got it to work. I am on Linux right now. Yay! Now I need to write 7 programs before next Wednesday…

What language?

I’m learning to program in C. I have 2 out of 6 programs done now. 4 more left! It is only difficult because of the algorithms. I still need to organize the structure. Translating into C is the easy part.

What do the programs do? Hello World type stuff? Or more complex?

When I took Visual Basic, the hardest thing we had to learn was make an image blink using a timer. I hope you’re doing more complex stuff than that.

Here is a quick course outline
and the website for my class is below.

Expanded Course Description:

• Introduction: The computer, steps in solving a problem using a computer.
  • Algorithms: General concept, development of efficient algorithms.
  • Programming in C[LIST=1]
  • Scalar data types, concept of data type, standard and user-defined scalar types.
  • Simple Statements, arithmetic and boolean expressions, assignment statements, simple input and output statements.
  • Flow of control, repetitive statements, conditional statements, unconditional branching
  • Data structures: single and multidimensional arrays; character strings; structs.
  • Functions: general concept; declaration and calls; & and * operators; parameters; introduction to recursion.
  • Software engineering: running, debugging, testing programs, building quality programs.Expanded Course Description:
  • Introduction: The computer, steps in solving a problem using a computer.
  • Algorithms: General concept, development of efficient algorithms.
  • Programming in C
  • Scalar data types, concept of data type, standard and user-defined scalar types.
  • Simple Statements, arithmetic and boolean expressions, assignment statements, simple input and output statements.
  • Flow of control, repetitive statements, conditional statements, unconditional branching
  • Data structures: single and multidimensional arrays; character strings; structs.
  • Functions: general concept; declaration and calls; & and * operators; parameters; introduction to recursion.
  • Software engineering: running, debugging, testing programs, building quality programs.[/LIST]This is the home page for my programming class.
    ECS 30
    I’m almost done with homework #1.

Cool deal.
If you like mandriva, later try PCLinux it is based off mandriva but is much easier to set up, and has more up-to-date packages for some things.

plus with 1 command, you can make a custom liveCD if you have everything under 2 gigs.
This is great for giving to friends, or just as a backup for a quick recovery. You can have blender and all your other favorite applications installed when you install you OS. Nice for setting up on your friends systems too :smiley:

Thanks for the info. I’ll be looking at my other choices when I’m done with this quarter. My next class will be using C++.
(I’ve always wanted a live usb stick. Then I could have all my programs that I use wherever I go. I’m jealous because one of the guys in my apartment has one.)

I just finished the last program in my homework! All I have left is this one question.
< the question >