Beach scene in Blender, want feedback

Just made this beach scene, all models are made by me, just some textures are downloaded. I’m using Blender for 1 year, would like to know if I should do better or not, or what to improve. All critiques welcome.

3 Likes

Welcome!

The realism and technical aspects of this scene are good!

You are at a point where the artistic aspect is what could be worked on. By that I mean learn about image composition / photography, and make an eye catching scene, one with a story to it and pleasing aesthetics. You have some nice and realistic objects here, but that’s all they are for now, just a collection of objects.

keep up the good work, you are doing good for a single year!

2 Likes

Thanks!
I actually expected more criticism, because most of the creations of other people here are much better than this and are still criticised. I definitely should learn more about composition, lightning and these things, here I focused mainly on the models and realism. However, I still feel like something is wrong and it looks a bit cartoonish in my opinion, but I don’t know what’s the problem

Looks great. Good job. Just some things that came to mind. Put the glasses on that hat as if the hat was wearing them. Use the composition guides (via camera - viewport display) to put those items on a corner using rule of thirds, and perhaps the colourful logo on a different intersection of the guide. I like it artistically the contrast between colour of the logo and the less saturated everything else to make the logo pop, but I wonder if it would look a bit better with more yellows in the sand and more saturation in the umbrella and other elements.

Also maybe some kind of footprint or break up in sand to show the disturbance made by a human

Well, if you are looking to improve the realism of the objects, there are some ways to do it still. Though, at this point, we are really going into fine details. What you have here works well as a slightly stylized image, which can work if you do it intentionally.

• The towel seems to follow the shape of the sand underneath, but looking at photos, it should also have a little bit of crumpling of its own and some small, extra folds.

• The clothes could have a little bit more effort in their texturing. Make sure to have realistic fabric seams in the correct spots if you don’t have them. The more exposed areas of the clothes could be slightly discolored, but the crevices and seams would retain their dye better and be more saturated. Don’t just rely on the cloth simulation for the folds, also get a bump or normal map to add a little bit of subtle, fine crumpling in the fabric. There could also be some slight color patterns in the fabric, many clothes have a little bit of color variation in their cloth fibers.

• The area just around the towel would be disturbed and trampled. There might also be a little bit of sand on the towel.

Alright, that’s what I though I could have done better, I tried some of that, but I couldn’t find a good fabric texture for the clothes or make my own and the sand on the towel was also a problem, my sand is a texture with bumps, so it would look bad if I just put it on the towel and if I put there single particles, it would break my PC, because the scene itself lags a lot now, so I’m not really sure how to do that

Okay, thanks, I’ll try to do that

great work!

The blanket is too clean, I think it needs sand scattered on it near the edges. Footprints leading away from the blanket or in the sand around it.

I think that is a good idea also and I think that the beach towel looks a bit too fuzzy.