Bender and nanite not compatible?

Hi ive been using blender to build a kit for UE5 and ive come up against a strange problem,

when i enable nanite on a mesh it crunches down the polycount to optimise the mesh but in doing so damages small details, as show in the images

I have modelled in a default blender scene, so i tried scaling the model up and then applying the scale and then exporting, ive tried using the fbx scale and scaling with a setting of 100 in the scale, ive tried making a new blender file with the units set to 0.01 and importing my mesh into that and then scaling it up and exporting, no matter what i try the mesh gets crunched by unreal, my onreal project is set to directx 12, and ive played witht he remove degenerates option on import , im not sure if this is a problem with other modelling software but its pretty alarming if not. any ideas ?

Well yeah… that’s what happens when you reduce polycount?

nanite shouldn’t do this on the default asset, this should only happen on the fallback mesh and at a distance, for example lets say you want to make a tv remote and have all the buttons on it for a video in unreal, you cant because it will destroy the mesh. nanite isn’t suppose to do this and i have a feeling its to do with blenders scale compared to unreal

It only reduced the amount of polygons, but it doesn’t seem to think about shape preservation.
It looks quite rough. :thinking:

tewt

You need to create an edge that can maintain the existing shape well.

If you attach the wire rendering image, it will be easier to get help from someone who knows well about this.

the problem i believe is nanite thinks the mesh is 100 time smaller than it is, I’m going to download 3ds max and see if i get the same results exporting from max if I don’t then I and all other blender artist have a pretty big problems on our hands because no matter what I do I cannot get nanite to work with blender, and this isn’t a moaning at blender thing I LOOOOOOOOOOVE BLENDER

You could also try doing this:

unit_scale

You will need to readjust the clip start and clip end values for the viewport and rescale existing objects, but yes, Blender can readjust it’s entire scale and units. Doing this seems to work just fine with Unreal for me.

for anyone who wants to have a go here is the fbx, the challenge is to get that into nanite at the correct scale without it destroying the mesh :slight_smile:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g8g2nt144fm7am5z1ujop/NaniteTest.fbx?rlkey=freb4521he0aibxab0yktcwjd&st=66ekfk4e&dl=0

i have done that pipeline, similar to if you wanted to export an rigged asset, and no joy, ive given this to my studios TA and hes stumped as well

1 Like

thanks for all the replies I’m not dismissing any suggestions, what you guys are coming up with was exactly what I was thinking and trying :slight_smile:

I see other people complaining about Nanite breaking meshes, so I don’t think it’s on Blender’s side.

Could this be in cause?

Also, does this little detail have much finer polygons than the rest of the mesh? I don’t know for sure if that matters, but Nanite does rely on the screen size of polygons, so I am thinking maybe wildly inconsistent polygon sizes on a single object could confuse it?

1 Like

I’m not an Unreal user, so I can’t test it, but isn’t it a problem that the object size hasn’t been reset? :thinking:

Nanite making my meshes super low poly and causing shading issues - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

1 Like

the mesh scale is from me playing about with stuff I have reset it a number of times and at different scene scales, by resetting i mean ive applied all the transforms so the scale is set to 1

1 Like

i had a watch of that video and that is a fall-back mesh problem, it only happens at run time and is to do with how the optimisation is set up in unreal but its not at the lod 0 level on the nanite mesh

this is an example of the object in the scene, as you can see its not that small its larger than a players head and allot bigger than most buttons you would find on a control panel

I have brought the mesh in Unreal and found the problem. Your mesh isn’t missing any polygon, they are just distorted because of low precision. Try playing with the precision setting, see which precision level you need to use for the mesh to look right.

precision

One of the problems Nanite solves is storing very heavy meshes as lightly as possible. One of the ways it does this is by using lower precision/fewer decimals in the coordinates of vertices. On a jagged rock, you don’t need very high precision, but you will likely need to adjust this setting for a detailed mechanical part.

2 Likes

etn249 you are a star that solved the problems, I take my hat off to you :slight_smile:

1 Like