Best GPU for bugdet

Hey, I am a 3d artists and my main working softwares are blender and unreal engine. Gaming is not my priority but mostly rendering. I was recommended to buy Rx 5700 for this task but people seem divided as this seems to be more useful for gamers than for 3d artists. I really need suggestions as to what I should opt for.

A few things to keep in mind

1. I am still a student so I have make this investment very carefully
  2. I was also recommended to buy a Xeon for this but from scaro as they are cheaper.
  3. Since rtx are more expensive so what should be a suggested gtx I could use.

Thanks

Hi,

And you were right, when it comes to Blender - it is better to use Nvidia solutions instead of AMD’s ones, first of all, because of the CUDA cores in there, second, it is so happened that Blender works way better namely with GeForce GPUs (more information about this).

When it comes to CPUs, at least from what I heard, both AMD and Intel go almost toe-to-toe with each other, separating only in some small details.

I didn’t watch, but perhaps this one video could explain you the comparison between the two of them:

GTX are kinda outdated GPUs’ series. I would suggest you buy at least the RTX 2***, like 2060 SUPER for example, or, maybe the RTX 4060 if you have enough money for it. Me, I’m still using an old one, GTX 1060 with 6GB of memory on a board, but since I am working mostly with low poly graphics only, I don’t see any reasons to upgrade my GPU in the near future. I’m fine with what I currently have.

1 Like

Thanks alot
So if I don’t have enough budget for rtx series going for gtx series isn’t a viable option?

1 Like

It depends on what you are going to work with, whether it’s going to be hard surface modeling or simple low poly graphics.

But bearing in mind that almost all new technologies nowadays are using the so-called “Ray tracing cores” feature, I’d pay my attention to the RTX series. But, on the other hand, if you going to work only with low poly, you could’ve stayed on the GTX as well. It all depends on your needs and budget.

Here’s good info on RT cores in RTX series. User says that it brings up around 30-40% to actual performance, comparing it to CUDA cores.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/kh12kt/does_blender_use_rt_cores_from_nvidia_cores/

1 Like

What do you plan to do in Blender mainly? If you’re just modeling and not doing Cycles renders in Blender for example and render everything in Unreal (or occasional Eevee render) then you have bit more leeway with picking a GPU.

If you plan to use Cycles or do heavier rendering outside of Unreal with mostly offline renderers you should probably limit your selection to Nvidia RTX cards and just pick one that performs best with the budget you have and has enough vram for the type of work you do.

1 Like

Hey
I usually have to model and create environments with basic camera animations and the rendering is done outside unreal. I try to limit myself to evees but occasionally cycles.

At the end of the day, your budget will dictate your purchase, but generally for any 3D related work I suggest stick to Nvidia GPUs, and try and aim for an RTX card, that way you’ll also have a bit of leeway in case you decide you want to do more down the line.

I’ve used 1060GTX before moving to 3060RTX 3 years ago, still a low budget card, but the performance difference between the two is night & day…

So if you get a 1060 FOR EXAMPLE, here it’s around $150 - 250 AUD new, and a 3060 RTX is around $400 AUD, so you’d be paying for a much more current card, that gets more regular updates, and performs WAY better than one that is half its price… but yeah also depends where you’re from and what you have access too also … Just food for thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks alot.
Yeah budgeting is a havoc but it clears what is needed.