Best linux destro

Hi friends which is the best linux destro for blender 2.8?
my spec:i3,4gb ram,Hd 5450.

I don’t think there’s any major performance difference across distros when using Blender. Also all major distros supply Blender through their official repositories so you can download it directly through the distro package manager which is convenient.

Phoronix has done a lot of benchmarks of Blender across Linux distros, but again the differences in performance are typically very small: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=3900x-linux-distros&num=5

So from a performance standpoint it shouldn’t really matter which distro you choose. Your best bet if you really want to squeeze out the best possible performance is to compile Blender yourself, with optimization options that make use of your cpu specific features as well as some of the more ‘exotic’ optimization strategies such as profile guided and link time optimization.

2 Likes

I agree with @Groover, but if you want a personal opinion, I’m really loving pop! os from system 76. It’s defaults are very similar to what I want out of a personalized system.

1 Like

Hi. Ubuntu or a derivative like Mint if this will be your first distro, suggested from a usability standpoint.

Besides the extensive docs / manual you’ll be able to google most of your problems away given their popularity. Due to same you’re more likely to find compatible apps and drivers for such distros than less popular ones.

Groover covered the performance aspect.

2 Likes

Xubuntu best for me. I and Mantissa using this distro. Ubuntu best for an artist without excess things with best support of Wacom and Nvidia. And XFCE shell save many performance and beautiful. I recommend it.
And I recommend you install Ubuntu and install XFCE Shell after. You will be able to use native shell and xfce. Because Xfce doesn’t have few simple apps for tuning some specific things - doing it from cfg files not always simple.

3 Likes

Thank you but What abut linux mint mate?

I think Centos is the industry standard for cgi. I personally really like manjaro and I’ve tried most of the popular distros.

2 Likes

It’s a fork of Ubuntu. Personally I don’t like it and prefer native distro. And Linux Mint was compromised in the past by hacking their site.

Ubuntu Desktop LTS if you want widely supported (Debian based). Manjaro if you want sleek (Arch based).

edit: Clear Linux seems to be the performance champ for modern Intel based CPUs.

CentOS. The most stable for workstation and server.

I jus installed awesome fast smooth MXlinux.

Someone try Bodhi! :smile: - Lean, mean. and er, green! :smile: - www.bodhilinux.com

It’s footprint is really small, and the UI is awesome! :smile: It’s based on Ubuntu, so you can install that software…

But be informed that Ubuntu have most fastest security updates in compare with all Debian based distros include native Debian distro.

Linux mint is the easiest for non-linux users as there is a learning curve to linux. Mint is like / similar to windows. But Blender 2.8 is currently not in the package manager, and is installed from site, though takes a little to install icon properly, that I have still not managed and use a link as an icon.
2.79 with a few less functions is in the manager.
It is quick with 2.8 for me, but cloth simulation is slow as usual. Though I have an AMD-A8 R5 integrated 6.942gb-Ram laptop, so slower than most proper users :slight_smile:

True,yesterday i install Linux manjaro 18.01 i try to install realtek usb wifi driver and it show (sudo: dkms: command not found) i cant find solution for this problem.

Did you intall the dkms package first with the below command?

sudo pacman -S dkms

sudo dkms build rtl8188fu/1.0
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 5.2.11-1-MANJARO cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/5.2.11-1-MANJARO/build or /usr/lib/modules/5.2.11-1-MANJARO/source.

I’d always just pick one of the most popular distros, Ubuntu being a good candidate. It is easy to get peer support, tutorials, guides etc. than for more exotic distros. Popular distros have huge package repositories which are well maintained. No good reasons to pick a rare distro IMO.

You also need to install the kernel headers, not only the kernel them self and if you have several kernels installed you will need to install the headers for all of them. It seems you have the 5.2 kernel installed so you need to instal its headers as well

sudo pacman -S linux52-headers

sudo dkms add ./rtl8188fu
[sudo] password for kumaran:
Error! DKMS tree already contains: rtl8188fu-1.0
You cannot add the same module/version combo more than once.

sudo dkms build rtl8188fu/1.0

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping…

Building module:
cleaning build area…
‘make’ all KVER=5.2.11-1-MANJARO…(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.2.11-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8188fu/1.0/build/make.log for more information.