best renderer for blender 2.5

When blender 2.5 is released which renderers both free and for purchase will be the best at that time? As well which is a better paint program inkscape or the gimp?

I think this is a weird question, because it’s Blender that’s getting updated, not those (free or commercial) renderers. Any renderer that’s good now, will be good for Blender 2.5. If you meant to ask about the integration of those renderers, I’m afraid it’s going to be worse, because 2.5 will have a new Python API (scripts have to be updated) and there’s no Render API for real integration yet. But when time goes by, I’m sure you’ll see improved scripts and ultimately improved integration as well. Or like they say: code, pay for code or wait :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Inkscape, that’s not a painting program. It’s a vector editing program, whereas GIMP is a bitmap editing program. The most interesting difference between those two is that vector images can be scaled endlessy and are (for some things) easier to edit (but harder to use for other things), while bitmaps cannot be endlessy scaled up but are easier for other tasks (like painting).

Whatever program is better depends on what you’re going to use it for.

oogsnoepje, thanks for your explanations and advice. I’m initially going to use Yafaray with Truespace and then use it with Blender. Best Regards, Brent KJernisted

I use both Inkscape and Gimp extensively. They do completely different jobs. In many ways this is like asking whether word processors of spreadsheets are “better” because they both record and organize information.

Inkscape creates geometrically defined vector images (pictures made up of curves) which are more easily edited (generally), scalable and non destructive. These work less well with highly detailed images however.

Gimp creates bitmaps (pictures made up of many dots). It has better layering controls and a wider variety of effects (such as smudge, clone and heal). File sizes tend to be larger, and the more you play around with layers, the more image quality you lose (slowly).

Personally I’d learn them both, however Inkscape is probably easier to pick up first. They really do work magnificently hand in hand though. Often I’ll design in Inkscape, output and touch up in Gimp.

Play around with them both (making sure to follow some well recommended starter tutorials) ands see which one feels better.

Neither of these are paint programs. (They both have some features that are a subset of what you might find in a paint program though)

If you want a free paint program, try MyPaint. http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

LuxRender, open-source unbiased renderer:
www.luxrender.net

True. On that note, the latest version of Krita has gone a long way towards being a true paint program, with real, physically correct simulation of colour mixing, brushes and surfaces (including wet and sticky). Check out this page re painting.

If there’s one program that should be assimilate… cough I mean, integrated with Blender, it’s MyPaint… Best. Free. Painting. Program. Ever.

Lol you guyz are funny :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion the best renderer for Blender 2.50 would be an faster internal renderer with Global Illu, Caustics and stuff like that, rendering with external could take all the time of my life 'til an animation job is finished

I really like Yafaray. It gives beautiful results and in many instances is faster than Blender internal.

It seems to be always faster here. Always a lot, too :eek:

Where’s the assimilation-team when you need 'em?

best smelling paint program: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Oil-Color-Paints-and-Mediums/Winsor-and-Newton-Oil-Colors-and-Mediums/Winsor-and-Newton-Winton-Oil-Colors.htm

To say the “best” is subjective: it depends on what you are good at really, what your own skills compliment which tools. Texturing is huge tho, check out cgtextures.com for some tips. Multiply is your friend, as is ao baking :wink: