Best way to bevel a block

Hi,
I’m just starting out with Blender, and I’ve done a few tutorials… Now I’m trying to model objects myself but it is proving very hard indeed!
My first project is modelling an iPod (4th gen), as I have one so its easy to get a perpsective on it and look at it from the right angles.

For those that don’t know, the iPod is a flat long block (about twice as long as wide) and is bevelled all the way round. I tried off at first with a block and scaling it to the right size and then beveling, which gave the right shape for the block, but made it almost impossible to remove parts to creat the headphone connector and dock connector.

My second attempt involved extruding a block to the right dimensions… But when I try to bevel it, each individual extrusion is bevelled rather than the whole block.

How would i bevel an object made like this?

Also, while is is easy to add buttons that protrude from a surface, how would I create a recess in the side of a block?

Thanks for your time,

Matt

To get good results on a project like this your going to have to learn hown to use subsurfs eg:

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/ipod.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/ipod1.jpg

There is an over the shoulder video I made where I model a bathtub using subsurfs (hope you have a speedy internet connection).

http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/

GreyBeard

You certainly don’t “have” to use subserfs to do it. In addition to using the bevel command or script, both which are messy as hell, you can manually extrude and scale a face several times to round its edges. You could also make a circle and only keep a quarter of it and use that as a guide for a rounded edge. I know I’m not explaining this very well but I’m not good at that.

ou certainly don’t “have” to use subserfs to do it. In addition to using the bevel command or script, both which are messy as hell, you can manually extrude and scale a face several times to round its edges. You could also make a circle and only keep a quarter of it and use that as a guide for a rounded edge. I know I’m not explaining this very well but I’m not good at that.

You are correct I didn’t state it properly. The “simplest and fastest” way to model an Ipod and get good results is with subsurfs.

GreyBeard

In addition to using the bevel command or script, both which are messy as hell, you can manually extrude and scale a face several times to round its edges. You could also make a circle and only keep a quarter of it and use that as a guide for a rounded edge. I know I’m not explaining this very well but I’m not good at that.

Can you give a small tutorial on how to do this with extrusion? I personally see no problem as long as I stay in 2 dimensions. But when I try to extrude into the 3rd dimension I face problems. Especially in the corners I do not know what to do, how to close the wholes. Can you explain the steps enriched with images which get to the same result as the “fast” method of “subsurfing”?

Best regards
Martin