Best way to learn modeling for games?

Hello,

I use Unity3D as my game engine and I love it. I am pretty decent at programming in C# for Unity, but now I want to learn how to make 3D models for games. I truley suck at modeling in Blender. I can do basic UV mapping and basic modeling, but I want to become actually good and comfortable with modeling. I want to be able to make just about everything a game has, from tables to chairs to guns, and even human characters. Now when I say this, I do not mean Call of Duty style, but I want to be able to model at least good enough where I can complete a full game.

So, <i><b>what is the best way for me to learn 3D modeling for video games?</b></i> I know humans are VERY hard to model, but possible, of course.

In my opinion watching some timelapses (YouTube, etc.) is a good way to learn. Then try to do something similar but WITHOUT watching the video. So the aim is to get a view into the artist’s workflow to be able to compare one’s own workflow with the artist’s one.

The best way is to try…
But only with modeling you won’t get fine results. Texturing is also very important!!!

My advice: Just model several models and put them together in a scene which will get fuller step-by-step. (e.g grassland with trees, people, barrels, set up the lighting)

Hope that helps!:wink:

Thank you for responding! I will follow these tips!

Complete Blender Game Art Tutorial. From zero experience to 2D or 3D game ready asset
Creating A Low Poly Ninja Game Character Using Blender
Game Character Creation Series: Kila Chapter 1 – High Resolution Modeling
User generated Content creation & game making tutorials for Blender and more…
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tutorials#Free_Tutorial_Websites
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling

I’d suggest an incremental approach. Design a very small game, small map, maybe only two functional buildings, one character, and only three or four props. Don’t texture anything, download some props and a low poly character from Blend Swap, and get the game running. Then, start to work improving things.

Model your own low poly table, for example, or a bookshelf. Add it to the game, Learn how to texture, and texture the bookshelf.

Do some tutorials on low poly characters. Build one that’s at least as good as the one you’ve downloaded, and add it to the game. Learn how to rig it and animate it.

Add another building to the game. Find out how much geometry you need to keep your characters from walking through the walls.

When ever you master a new technique, go back to your models and apply that to everything where appropriate (that’s why you want to keep things small in the beginning).

Look for tutorials on modeling the things you want to build, or download examples from BlendSwap and study them, then build your own.

Eventually, you’ll have the skills you need to create the game you want to build.