Bevel Object applied to curve

Hi. Am I missing something very basic here?

I want to sweep a curve along the path of another curve. This is to create for example the trims around door frames in an arcviz project. The issue is that with sharp 90 degree turns, the shape at the corner is rotated 45 degrees. This means that the finished object does not have a constant thickness. Here is a screenshot to illustrate.

The finished object can be seen in the large shaded view on the right hand side.
the other three views show from top left:
top view of that object - it’s based on a 3 segment curve.
top view zoomed in to the curve I’m using as the bevel object
Front view zoomed in to the right hand leg of the object. In this view, you can see that because the bevel curve is rotated by 45 degrees at the corners, the main object reduces in width along that segment. It then proceeds at that reduced width along the top before increasing back to the correct width at the end of the last segment

“Set curve radius” for each individual vertex seems to scale the shape at that vertex but it needs scaled over only the x-axis.

Any guidance would be great.

1 Like

Hey, Your not, its a known issue. Only work around I found is to convert to mesh > miter cut the mesh > materials. - This is IF you really need it to look authentic.

I’ll look into that thanks. In the meantime, I’ve devised a very “dirty” way to do it.
I’ve added vertices either side of the corner vertices and then moved them closer until the surfaces meet. th is gives me full width shapes to the mitre. Then there’s a big internal mess as faces cross each other but that’s kind of hidden inside the object in any shaded view so not seen. Don’t know if there are other ramifications but it does what I need at the mo. Here’s a screenshot. If we could have more than one shape on the curve it would be easy enough but seems only one can be used.

Yes, that is about all you can do - especially if you need/want to keep the ‘Curve’ object.

Edit: https://www.blendernation.com/2021/03/10/sweep-multiple-curves-with-curves-to-mesh/

Hi there,

I am involved in addressing this issue in Blender (for now in Geometry Nodes only as of v3.5). This is still in development but closing in on a solution and that’d be great if you could provide some feedback here: Blender Devtalk / Curve to Mesh - Even Thickness

Thanks in advance!