Bevel + subsurf in corners

Hello!

I’ve been working on a project and I keep running into an issue with the bevel modifier. I’m trying to bevel a 3-part corner and then use a subsurf modifier on top (I need the subsurf for a curved part of the mesh). Whenever I turn on the subsurf, the verticies above the corner are stretched over the corner. I’ve tried all combinations of creasing, rearranging, everything. I have no idea why this is happening or how to stop it. Any thoughts?

probably not the prettiest solution but you can change the outer mitter on your bevel/bevel modifier to arc or patch.

It’s hard to tell what your options are from the pics but having run into this problem myself, my suggestion would be to redo the bevel with different geometry. Assuming theres a top left corner out of frame, I’d go to that like so-

Hope that helps

I can’t see that the problem is from the screenshot but do you got some split edges, double vertices? Make also sure that all your faces have at most four vertices.

If you inset the face before extruding, the only way i’ve been able to get rid of the weird arc is to bevel the edge that leads off the corner as well but that can cause other issues esp on non-flat surfaces.

Blender crashes when I try to change that setting! Best not to touch it?

Manual edge loops work for me, adding a crease as one suggestion said works as well. A bevel modifier with profile set to 1 also can work, but things are dependent on the overall mesh.

I’m using it all the time - you can try it with a simple cube, inset-extrude, might be something in your mesh that’s bugging blender.

But yes, the good way to go would be ajm’s solution, I just tend to be lazy at times :slight_smile: