Bezier Curve Fillet

8 Years ago Luxuy released a fantastic addon for Blender to fillet bezier curves over at Blender Market similar to the Bevel operator for meshes.

The addon seems to have been abandoned and is no longer maintained. I tried contacting the user with no response. Since addons are open source by nature and it seems to no longer be working correctly for Blender 2.8+ versions I decided to learn how to code and update it myself back in the 2.8 days.
Since at this point there doesn’t seem to be any prospects of an official release I’m now sharing the version I made for myself.

I won’t pretend to know how all the funky math works, the inwards are still mostly a mystery to me. There are still lots of ugly Python errors here and there, and situations doesn’t work well at all.
I can’t really fix those, but I managed to do the trivial leg work, and port it to modern versions of Blender while sneaking in a few modern conveniences and improvements of my own.

Improvements

• Curve Fillet is now available from the Control Points menu

• Curve Fillet is now reachable from the Right Click curve context menu while in curve Edit Mode.

• The addon will register a default Ctrl + B hotkey for faster access.
  • Adjusted sensitivity of mouse drag during modal operation
  • Minor adjustments and cleanup
  • Tried to avoid cases of division by zero
  • Removed all references to the now retired bgl deprecated module. Couldn’t really make a suitable replacement myself. I’d be glad if someone knowledgeable could contribute restoring the old line drawing behavior using the modern GPU module.

New features

• Support fillet on Poly type bezier curves, through implicit conversion to Bezier
  • Optional automatic creation of reference points after beveling, that hold the position of the original vertex before beveling for safekeeping. Since beveling is destructive, this allows easy reversal of the operation or correction in case of error. Toggle them on or off from the Keep Corners option.

Bezier Curve Fillet

Since it is something I use daily on my workflow, I share it here in the hopes that it will be useful to you as well.

Curve Fillet 3.0 2023 11 17

Addon_DPFR_BezierCurve_Fillet_3_00.py (8.0 KB)

If you like bezier curve CAD addons also see my restored Bezier Curve Trim Extend Addon

15 Likes

Fantastic job.
Super useful!

1 Like

thank you… very useful!

1 Like