BGE and the PS3.

Link to relevant article that supports your claim please.

Or is this just your opinion?

Link to relevant article that supports your claim please.

Soz, cant link to article just reading from a few months back, cant remember where I read it from.

So you expect people to just take your word on that?

Sorry, but I (as many others) can’t take your statements as fact without any proof.

So far, what you said can only qualify as an opinion.

So far, what you said can only qualify as an opinion.

Yeah, I figured that out my self.

I wosnt trying to state it as fact as I knew I could not hold it up as fact.

I guess I should of put “this is something I read on the net, but cant post you a link, so take this as my opinion” at the bottom of my original post.

Although I would have expected people to have made there own mind up on what I said, without me saying. I could be talking crap.

In Kit89’s defense, the Wikipedia PS3 page touches on a GNU Toolchain, though I’m fairly sure that it comes with the ps3 devkit. If I was certain it was available openly, I would of included it in my first post. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Game_development.

Game development

The PlayStation 3, unlike the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 systems, is based on open and publicly available application programming interfaces. Despite earlier rumours of programming being difficult, IGN reports that they were told that the dev kit "seemed extremely adaptive and easy to program for. Sony has selected several technologies and arranged several sublicensing agreements to create an advanced software development kit for developers. In addition, in 2005 Sony purchased SN Systems, a former provider of Microsoft Windows-based development tools for a variety of console platforms; including PlayStation 2, Gamecube, PSP and Nintendo DS to create additional GNU development tools. Sony is providing all developers with GNU toolchains, and SN Systems will provide customer-oriented wrappers for GNU tools at an additional cost.
The open standards are specified by the Khronos Group, and are intended to work with Nvidia’s Cg programming language. Scene data are stored with COLLADA v1.4, an open, XML-based file format. Rendering uses PSGL, a modified version of OpenGL ES 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0compliant except for the use of Cg instead of GLSL, with extensions specifically aimed at the PS3. Other specifications include OpenMAX, a collection of fast, cross-platform tools for general “media acceleration,” such as matrix calculations, and OpenVG, for hardware-accelerated 2D vector graphics. These specifications have GPL, free for any use, and/or commercial implementations by third parties.
Sublicensed technology includes complete game engines, physics libraries, and special libraries. Engines include Epic’s Unreal engine 3.0. Physics libraries include AGEIA’s PhysX SDK, NovodeX, and Havok’s physics and animation engines. Other tools include Pixelux’s Game Asset Synthesis Technology] (a toolkit for advanced procedural synthesis) and the Digital Molecular Matter engine plug in for Maya and 3d Studio Max, Nvidia’s Cg 1.5 (a C-like shading language, which HLSL was based upon), SpeedTree RT by Interactive Data Visualization, Inc. (high-quality virtual foliage in real time), and Kynogon’s Kynapse 4.0 “large scale A.I.”.
Sony has considered using IPv6, the next generation of the Internet Protocol.

the only reason people make games is for profit and recognition…
Or not. Nothing I do I do for money. Money and making a profit of any kind is the last reason why I make games. I do it because I love it.

Yellow dog linux is going to be installable on the ps3. Here’s what’s going to be offered:

• kernel 2.6.16
  • gcc 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4
  • Cell SDK 1.1
  • OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
  • FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
  • Nautilus 2.14
    … and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound & Video, Internet, and Networking applications.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml

Is anyone else salivating, or is it just me?
I think with the ps3, Microsoft will finally lose dictatorial power over digital media. They’ll be major, but they’ll have to play fair after this. Open standards will be used by everyone.

Is anyone else salivating, or is it just me?

You’re not alone. As I said in my first post, Yellow Dog linux is installable. I can’t wait, just to bad I can’t afford much of any console since the purchase of my new Wacom tablet. I’ll hopefully have enough by the time the price drops on it. But yeah, as I said my first reaction when I heard linux and open was :eek:.

Maybe we should ask Erwin about this topic?

I’m guessing that if there is already a GNU/Linux distribution runing on PS3 than a lazy port of Blender shouldn’t be too difficult?

The cool part would be to optimise the Game Engine for the SPUs. It would really fly then…

Dude I could so go for a new Wacom tablet over any console right now.

yeah, sorry about that. i seem to have a habit of building myself up, then tearing myself down. about those Wacom tablets, i help out in my school’s tech center, and in organizing the cabinets i found four of those. i’ve played with one before, but considering i’ve never used one before i couldn’t do much. with practice, do they have a higher artistic potential then a mouse? also, i don’t like the whole disassociation of drawing surface and actual image, which is what screwed me up the first time. personally, i’d rather draw with one of those tablet computers, with the touch-sensitive screen. about the ps3, i’d love if it would unseat Microsoft from it’s mighty throne of multi-media power, but i think the whole price thing will totally kill it’s chances. at very best, the open media conversion will occur years from now when the price drops, but if anything, those who get it first will have no idea how to take advantage of it, and the rest of the market will be waiting for the next generation. awesome os and processor or not, it all depends on the consumers. if they can’t utilize the system it to it’s fullest potential, it’s practically useless to them.

(Note: those statements were based off the total population, not taking into consideration individuals like spike1907. most people have no idea how to code, let alone change the background of their desktop…)

I’ll hopefully have enough by the time the price drops on it.

Same here. I’m hoping for next summer. I don’t buy things when they just come out and I have a lot of patience when it comes to things like this. HDTV’s are still a little bit too high and people will be working on the software to get it working best with cell. My next purchase will probably be an Nvidia 6600 gt. They’re just getting in my price range and it will give my computer probably double the frame rate at least from the mx440 I have now, not to mention shaders. I’ll just dream about my PS3 until then.

Battery recall. Big Brother CD´s (drms). PS3 is LATE.

As stated before, normal people are not able to unwrap and texture things, link logic bricks or even change their desktop wallpaper. Did you notice that?

Thats why Blender needs to become a matter at highschool.

I wish Blender had been taught at my high school when I was there… or anything important for that matter. Every computer class ended up turning out to be a how to type in M$ Word class… “Ok class, when you press shift+p on the keyboard you get an uppercase P!” Isn’t that exciting?! No. Oh well, im trying to get into some programming classes at my college now.

Besides, whats the point of making a game on the PS3 that you can make on your computer?

Another question, if blender is compatible with the PS3, and all .blend files support every OS, can I just copy my blend file to the ps3, recompile it in blender and have a PS3 version? Could be interesting.

I’m currently teaching a semester class on Blender in the highschool I attend, and it makes me wonder why no one else is. The students LOVE it, and I enjoy teaching a great deal. Sorry, off topic, but I just thought I’d stick that in there.

Dim: I know what your talking about. I have a small group of kids I teach outside of school. But I really enjoy the whole teaching thing. I have two choices in life… A: Break into the game industry. B: Teach others how to break into the game industry so that my students can compensate for my not being able to make it :stuck_out_tongue:

But hell what if next year when I am no longer in school I decide that I want to start a lil 4 year program at my highschool. could be awsome.

Dude, all the way.

As it is, I wish someone had taught me this stuff in high school so that I’d had a jump on it.

It’s $700 if you want, like… a game? even more if you want an extra controller or an adapter so that it will fit your old fashion television because like you said you won’t be buying a new one.:slight_smile:

And I don’t think he was speaking to the lifespan of a console cycle so much as the lifespan of earlier generation next-gen consoles. They have a 50% chance of breaking because the manufacturing either didn’t know what they were doing, or becasue they replaced some critical silicon device with a rubber band because they ran out of supplies or something on the last 200 they had to role out of their factory in time to meet the Christmas deadline due to contract obligations or some shat like that perhaps I’m being overly dramatic but yes I’ve fallen prey to this tendency myself. So I wouldn’t buy a PS3 for at least another year and a half - or until I receive some word that they are working as they should which should take some time to confirm.