BGE no more?

It did not work out well, that’s true. It was barely maintained, that’s why they are planning to integrate it more tightly into Blender. I am not sure how you can already know right now that this is not going to work. There are plenty of use cases for an interactive mode, be it for film making, interactive demos and other areas.

A. How many unity games are good vs garbage
B. Gamedev is hard.
C. UPBGE is a blank canvas, with plenty of room to hang yourself.

maybe the underlying structure could be better,

but maybe people still write games in assembly.

Don’t like UPBge or NPR? go move into 2.8.

There seems to be better and better bge games every day, they are just not out making millions.

going viral has to do with how good the game is, and marketing, and pure luck.

We offer amnesty for the old engine, and as a seperate entity maybe it will grow.

UPBGE does not detract anything from blender.

Why don’t you all go laugh at funerals eh?

Now, I hate unity (and most of its community) with a passion, but it is a fine and powerful engine and while there are many asset flippers who raid the free section of everything and pump out games that are little more than a few tutorials ziptied together, that does not mean that unity is a garbage engine.

I assure you that if UPBGE (for some reason) managed to become as popular as Unity is today, there would be a lot of badly done games made with it too (that is an expected side effect of an engine becoming popular and accessible to everyone including kids). Godot is going to have badly done games made with it as well (because of the expanding userbase due to its free nature).

I’m not going to address the rest of the post, by now there is no point in doing so.

What’s with this idea that Cycles and Eevee can’t do NPR rendering? NPR means not photo realistic. PBR means physically based rendering. There’s absolutely nothing about “physically based” that says it has to be photo realistic. All it means is that a given material and lighting combo will use intuitive values and conserve energy (and even that isn’t set in stone with either engine).

lots of peoples pipelines use toon shaders and freestyle

cycles ‘can’ make cartoons, just like you ‘can’ make gta 5 in bge…

is it worth the extra effort to just use blender internal for them?

go to any npr group, tell me they are super happy.

Considering the state of BGE/UPBGE and the type of game projects that devs. struggled to make (due to limitations), this is not even worth a formal rebuttal. I do not know what evidence there is to back this up, noting the user known as Excaliberr tried to demonstrate actual AAA quality with the engine many years back and called it quits after hitting the walls with two projects.

Not to mention that every successful “cartoon” made in the past 5+ years was made with one path tracer or another.

So, what do you recommend for people who like the logic brick model, with a little python, and don’t want to jump out of blender to run simulation (not games)? Is Animation Nodes going to make it through to 2.8 as a de facto ‘interactive mode’ or has that been discontinued?

Thanks,
Ian

That’s simple. Continue to use the current stable release until 2.8 is out of beta. I’m quite sure you will be able to run simulations without BGE by then.

As for logic bricks, they’re kaput. I’m sure there’s programmers out there who like Turbo Pascal, but that doesn’t get much use these days either. Get with the times.

“Blueprint” visual scripting in Unreal Engine 4 is quite popular. I’ve never used the logic bricks in BGE, but aren’t they similar to that?

Blueprint is a fully featured visual programming language, basically what logic bricks wish they could be.
Also, what’s up with the question about simulations? You haven’t needed BGE for sims for years now.

i say ‘go for it’ but document what you do so that we less competent users can understand and take advantage of the features.

While I have no doubts Cycles can produce NPR images, I don’t believe GTA 5 could have been built with BGE or even UPBGE. It’s a fact.

Not only it’s popular, it’s a fully fledged system that allows making entire games (even for consoles) without ever touching C++ code.

I have a marginal coding background and it was about 3 months to go from nothing to proficient with ue4 blueprints for me.

I have a workflow to make large open world games, in bge

the tiles load in, and load in all their game objects, mark invisible,
set to suspendPhysics()

a list based thing checks 250 objects per frame. and if close marks visble, and resume physics

not only am i loading in game objects (and potentially batching the render per tile)
but right now this is 60 fps while the whole thing is editible.

I could make some optimizations ( remove physics for plants etc)
in py to load faster without any C_acceleration.

with a c coder who knew how to extend upbge
I think I could accelerate my structures and kick gta and no mans sky’s asses.

I need a C coder though. My glsl friend is doing great work, but we need tristan back or someone of equal skill.

Replying to your open world video, pretty much any engine with somewhat developed 3D functionality can easily do something similar (it’s not that much of an ask to create a large world where there’s not much going on).

Now expand that to a world filled with NPC’s, creatures, detailed landmarks and regions, puzzles, objectives, events, ect… and you’ll see how something like No Man’s Sky and GTA 5 are completely different animals in terms of complexity and sophistication.

Nope, Game logic objects pinned to tiles

Tiles can be batched (right now there is 256 tiles that are 256x256 each you can see)

so each tile becomes 1 drawcall regardless of the number of objects pinned to it.

Now add in C-acceleration and I could do denser patches (512x512 vertex per BU at this scale)
(the vertex color drives the splat map)

so we can have very detailed terrains that are not repetiive with any gameobject you desire pinned to it,

I already wrote a pathfinder and GOAP for the enemies, players and vehicles,

I have weapons, doors , switches etc.

If I had rockstars budget I could have something better in a year.

my workflow is Superior.

(tiles could be popped in from world machine or quadspinner)

I am talking about the engine, not the content.

UPBGE can hang.

"If I had rockstars budget I could have something better in a year.

my workflow is Superior. "

This is one of the more insane statements I’ve seen on BA in over a decade, and that’s saying something.