[BGMC 28] To The Surface

This is a pure exploration game. There is no combat, there are no puzzles. Significant effort went into the sound design and ambiance to try make it interesting but it is an experiment to see if a game where the only achievement is finding things can be a fun game to play.

What do you do: fly a spaceship through a cave and find interesting locations. There are seven locations for you to find. If you’re after a bit of relaxing escapism, give this game a go.

It was created in two weeks for the #AdvJam2018 although it may or may not be qualified because I built a tool to assist in building levels a week before the contest started (but not the game itself). Even with that tool I ran out of time for the environments I had in my head.

You can dowload a windows build form GameJolt or you can download the blend files here:

Things I enjoyed about creating this game

• The terrain shader is really neat. It could be extended further…
  • The sound-design (eg muffled sounds underwater)
  • The technical challenges in creating the physics mesh for the level automatically
  • The landing legs (wrrrrr clunk)
  • Yay, python (so much better than GDScript)
  • Yay, BGE (it’s like a comfortable jacket, I know it well)

Things I disliked about creating this game

• Arrgh, I suck at building levels. I had more ideas in my head, but building the level was so slow
  • That it took 3 minutes to generate a full-resolution physics mesh for the level - it does have to render it out at 16384x16386 resolution, so taking it’s time is fair enough.
  • That I was never convinced it would be “fun” to play. It definitely isn’t a typical game
  • Perspective and hitboxes. The ship’s hitboxes are all shrunk by a significant margin to compensate
  • Bullet’s angular motors that get stuck all the time. (Actually, I think I know the reason and will fix it when it isn’t 02:00am)

Things I wanted to add

• More things to find (I have a couple A4 pages of sketches)
  • Creatures running around the cave with you
  • Running water (eg waterfalls)
  • Animated things (eg the plants moving)
1 Like

really nice work!

I really dig the generating the phyiscs meshes.

Cool! It looks great.
Only you and BPR finished a game on time so far, so they will both go up for voting at the end of the week. If you want to polish anything up before then feel free.